Marathi film ‘Baangdya’ selected for CannesApril 22nd, 2010 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) Marathi short film “Baangdya”, about the plight of farmers’ widows, has been selected for a world premiere at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival, May 12-23.
“It’s a great feeling that my first film has been selected for the world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival. This is an acknowledgement to my cast and crew who worked hard to make this film possible,” director Kedar Jape told IANS on phone.
Jape’s directorial debut revolves around a small village girl ‘Chingi’ who loves to play with bangles. She finds out that her father had committed suicide and her mother is also on her way to do the same. It tracks the girl’s struggle to save her only parent and in the process reality about farmers is revealed.
“Baangdya” is shot entirely in black and white and Jape says his film brings forth the colourless life of farmer widows in India.
“Farmer suicide is a burning and socially relevant issue. These people suffer a lot and my film is an effort to create awareness about their plight not only at the domestic level but also at a global platform. This is a cause which is very close to my heart. I feel that through Cannes it will get represented all over the world,” he said.
Jape also revealed that it was tough raising funds for the film.
“I discussed my story idea with many people across the globe. Many of them responded positively by contributing small amounts. I am happy for those who supported me and showed their trust in me,” he said.
The director is planning to take “Baangdya” that features Maithili Kadam, Madhugandha Kulkarni, Manoj Aacharya, and Hitendra Upasni to other film festivals.
- Uday Shankar's widow to attend Cannes for 'Kalpana' - May 12, 2012
- Cole's 150-minute Cannes visit - May 20, 2012
- Carla Bruni 'may not attend Cannes film premiere over fear of spoiling hubby's image' - Apr 20, 2011
- Italy's Nanni Moretti named Cannes president - Jan 21, 2012
- No Cannes for Kalki Koechlin - May 14, 2012
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' set for world premiere at Cannes - Apr 24, 2012
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival announces grants for 2011 - Aug 26, 2011
- Sri Lankan director's 'Shadows of Silence' going to Cannes - Apr 22, 2010
- Parliamentary panel meets Vidarbha farmers - Mar 02, 2012
- Johansson joins hands with Massive Attack for song - May 25, 2011
- Minissha Lamba to walk the red carpet at Cannes - Apr 29, 2011
- Police meet Vidarbha widow who sought Sonia's help - Oct 08, 2011
- Udaan shortlisted for the Cannes! - Apr 17, 2010
- Stewart's topless act for 'On The Road' - Mar 12, 2012
- Nila Madhab's 'Jalpari' screened at Marche du Cannes - May 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,