Manisha Koirala’s Rejects Antara Mali Grabs The PartMarch 16th, 2009 - 6:27 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
Manisha Koirala is looking for meaty roles at this point of her career. So when the redoubtable Amol Palekar offered her a role in his new film, the prolific director’s first in English, Manisha jumped with joy.
Amol has extracted exceptional performances from his female actors including Deepti Naval in Ankahee, Anita Kanwar in Thodasa Rumani Ho Jayen and Rani Mukherjee in Paheli.
Manisha expected the prolific Palekar to offer her yet another opportunity to relive her golden days of Khamoshi The Musical, Bombay and Dil Se.
But to her dismay the role in Palekar’s film was just a cameo.
“I’d have loved to work with Amolji. It was an interesting character, that of a Buddhist monk. I’d have given my right arm to play the role, if only I had at least two scenes …achcha chalo, only one meaty scene. I’ve never believed in measuring my roles in terms of playing time. Lekin kuch to hona chahiye…”
Manisha had to reluctantly say no. “It broke my heart. Because I’m heavily into Buddhism. And I want to work with Amolji.”
The role has now gone to Antara Mali who after specially-written parts in Ram Gopal Varma’s Main Madhu Dixit Ban-na Chahti Hoon and Naach slips into cameo kingdom and also happily shaves off her tresses to play the monk.
Manisha too had no problem with shaving off her hair. The problem was the scarcity of meat in the part.
- Manisha Koirala rejects cameo role in Amol Palekar film - Mar 16, 2009
- Antara Mali goes bald for Amol Palekar's film (With Image) - Jul 24, 2010
- "And Once Again Is Not My Comeback Movie": Antara Mali - Aug 02, 2010
- 'And Once Again' not my comeback film: Antara Mali - Jul 31, 2010
- Big budgets have driven experimentation out of Hindi cinema: Palekar - Nov 28, 2010
- Still no visibility for parallel cinema in India: Amol Palekar (Interview) - Jul 30, 2010
- I became an actor by default -- Rajat Kapoor - Aug 19, 2010
- BIG Music launches soulful music of Amol Palekar's Samaantar - Aug 13, 2009
- It's nappy time for B-Town moms - Mar 27, 2012
- Salman Khan can dance, says choreographer - Jul 29, 2010
- Rituparna Sengupta in Amol Palekar's next - Mar 13, 2009
- Manisha Turns Politician In Her First Film, Post Marriage - Jun 29, 2010
- Antara Goes Bald - Jul 24, 2010
- Nepal fails to do justice to Manisha Koirala - Dec 10, 2010
- 'Saamantar' - too many coincidences spoil the plot (Marathi Film Review; Rating: **) - Sep 05, 2009
Tags: amol palekar, antara, antara mali, buddhist monk, chalo, deepti naval, female actors, kanwar, madhu, manisha koirala, meaty roles, naach, paheli, playing time, prolific director, ram gopal varma, rani mukherjee, rumani, subhash k jha, tresses