Mani Kaul’s ‘Duvidha’, two more Indian movies at Venice festJuly 29th, 2011 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Late filmmaker Mani Kaul’s “Duvidha” will be screened at the
68th Venice International Film Festival, starting Aug 31, along with Gurvinder Singh’s Punjabi movie “Anhey Ghorhey Da Daan” and Amit Dutta’s “Sonchidi”.
While Kaul’s film will be screened out of competition, Singh and Dutta’s films will be screened in Orizzonti section, which focuses on the new trends in world cinema.
Kaul, who passed away this month after a prolonged illness, teamed up with Ravi Menon and Raeesa Padamsi to tell the story of a merchant’s son whose relationship with his young bride is thwarted by his work and a ghost who falls in love with her, resulting in the ghost soon impersonating the husband.
Set in Rajasthan, “Duvidha” is based on a popular folktale from the state. Shah Rukh Khan starrer “Paheli” was also inspired by the same folktale of Rajasthan.
“Anhey Ghorhey Da Daan”, based on the novel of the same name by Punjabi novelist and Jnanpeeth Award winner Professor Gurdial Singh, is said to be the first Punjabi film to be screened at the Venice film festival, while experimental filmmaker Dutta’s short film “Sonchidi” is not his first work to be screened at the fest.
His “One Man’s Women and other Stories” got special mention at the Venice film festival in 2009. It was only third Indian film to have done that.
- NFDC dedicates 'Anhey Ghorey...' to Mani Kaul - Aug 09, 2012
- 'Anhey Ghorey Da Daan' to release Aug 10 - Aug 02, 2012
- Regional cinema doesn't get media attention: Award-winning Punjabi director (With Images) - Aug 11, 2012
- I wasn't expecting national award: Gurvinder Singh - Mar 07, 2012
- Can't make commercial films: 'Anhey Ghorey...' director - Aug 25, 2012
- NFDC mourns on Mani Kaul's death - Jul 06, 2011
- Gurvinder Singh wins best director National Award - Mar 07, 2012
- Film festival to pay homage to Mani Kaul - Jul 07, 2011
- Cinema festival postponed after Mumbai blasts - Jul 15, 2011
- 'Regional cinema, regional parties rule India' - Mar 21, 2012
- NFDC to bring out home videos of Mani Kaul's films - Jul 19, 2011
- Mani Kaul passes away - Jul 06, 2011
- Regional talent wins top honours at 59th National film awards (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2012
- Beyond location, panellists debate Rajasthan in Indian cinema - Jan 24, 2012
- Capital hosts Punjabi film fest, focus on larger viewership - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: amit, award winner, experimental filmmaker, folktale, gurdial singh, gurvinder singh, indian film, international film festival, kaul, menon, new trends, novelist, paheli, punjabi, shah rukh khan, short film, venice film festival, venice international film festival, world cinema, young bride