Manhattan short film fest comes to Mumbai againJuly 9th, 2011 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 9 (IANS) For the second time in a row, the Manhattan Short Film Festival (MSFF) will take place here Sep 25-Oct 2 and woo movie buffs with futuristic and experimental cinema.
Also known as Manhattan Short, this global festival is held in over 200 cinemas in 200 cities across six continents.
The festival was introduced in India in 2010 and this year, filmmakers and festival directors S. Ramachandran and Anil Sadarangani are bringing the second edition to the city.
Interestingly, around six of the films featured in MSFF have been nominated for Oscars in the past ten years. And that includes Indian filmmaker Ashvin Kumar’s “Little Terrorist”.
“The MSFF shares a special relationship with India because the winner of the 2004 festival, Ashvin Kumar’s ‘Little Terrorist’, went on to earn a nomination at the Oscars in the short film category,” New-York based Nicholas Mason, founding festival director, said in a statement.
According to Ashvin, the short film genre is a great way to experiment.
“The short film genre is a great way for filmmakers to experiment without worrying about the factors that come into play when making a feature film. It also brings recognition to the filmmaker.
“You learn how to tell a story economically and within a time limit. In this sense, the MSFF is very important. A win is a win for any filmmaker and I encourage people to participate in it,” he added.
The audiences across the globe will be able to watch 10 final films of the festival and decide the winner by voting.
All submissions are to be sent directly to New York before July 31.
- Ashvin Kumar's 'The Forest' to release April 13 - Mar 13, 2012
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- Kashyap launches short film contest - Feb 01, 2012
- Foreign exposure pushes independent films in India (Feature) - May 06, 2012
- New York Indian Film Festival moved to May - Jan 22, 2011
- Jaaved Jaaferi to turn producer - May 30, 2011
- Distribution system is ruined in Bollywood: Documentary filmmaker (With Images) - Mar 17, 2012
- India's biggest ever children's film festival gets underway - Nov 15, 2011
- Filmgoers have stopped taking cinema seriously: Adoor Gopalakrishnan (Interview) - Nov 22, 2010
- Filmgoers have stopped taking cinema seriously: Adoor Gopalakrishnan (Lead, Interview) - Nov 22, 2010
- New York Indian Film Festival to partner with film schools - Apr 26, 2011
- Indian films in spotlight at Dubai festival - Nov 13, 2010
- Now a crowd-funded spoof film fest! - Aug 21, 2012
- NRI director trains camera on family ties in US (With Images) - May 10, 2011
- New York's Indian Film Festival To Start From November 10 - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: ashvin kumar, experimental cinema, feature film, festival director, festival directors, film category, film fest, film genre, filmmakers, indian filmmaker, little terrorist, manhattan short film festival, movie buffs, msff, oscars, ramachandran, short film festival, six continents, special relationship, time limit