Mangeshkar for the next generationJune 18th, 2009 - 4:48 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
The music album “Naav Maaza Shaami” is introducing a new voice Radha Mangeshkar. Her Last name precisely hints her belonging to the biggest musical family in the film industry. She is the niece of melody queen Lata Mangeshkar and daughter of Pandit Hridaynath Mangeshkar. Radha is the 3rd generation of Mangeshkar gharana into singing. Her debut album comprises of marathi folk songs. Legendary marathi poet ND Manohar, Sudhir Moghe and Late BB Borkar have written the lyrics of the songs. Her father who is also her guru have composed the music.
Why did you choose to cut an album in marathi?
When I was a child I use to perform in marathi live show along with my father. For marathi people my name and my voice is not new. They have known me, they have heard me. And with this album after a long time people will get to hear true folk music that even non marathi’s can enjoy listening.
What kind of songs does the album comprise?
There are total 6 songs out of which two are goan folk and rest is koli geet. There is also Stri (bidaai) song in it. Title song Naav Maza Shami is a romantic duet. We have incorporated the folks of various part of Maharashtra.
Did you always aspire to be a singer?
My family did not force me into singing. I started learning with my father at the age of nine. I use to do live shows with him. He is my guru as well. Had I not have inherited the genes of singing from him I would not have become a singer.
Don’t you feel the pressure of being compared to legendary singers in your family?
I personally do not take any pressure on me to live up to them but yes people do expect a lot from me. I feel blessed to have inherited musical genes from them.
What Lataji feels about your singing?
Lata ji has been hearing me from the time when I was a kid. She has always appreciated my singing.
What kind of songs would you like to sing?
I believe it is all upon music director. While they are composing a song they already have the singer’s voice in their mind. I want Music Directors to decide for me that what kind of song will suit my voice be it sad song or an item number.
What do you have to say about your generation singers coming from reality shows?
Everybody is not blessed to have association with great names like me that Sa re ga ma jaisi company samne se aaker album banati hai aisa naseeb sabko toh nahi milta. In my opinion reality shows are good platform to showcase your talent.
-Deepa Mishra /Sampurn Media
- Lata remembers veteran Marathi composer Khale - Sep 04, 2011
- Lata at leisure loves watching 'KBC', 'CID' - Oct 22, 2010
- Born to sing: Lata turns 82 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2011
- Legendary Lata not ready to call it quits - Jun 05, 2011
- I'm tired of singing film songs: Asha Bhosle (Interview) - Nov 05, 2010
- Singing and sought after, Lata turns 81 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2010
- Lata Mangeshkar joins Javed Akhtar's fight for copyright - May 20, 2012
- He called me 'Bharat Ratna': Lata remembers Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 26, 2011
- Music world mourns death of Jagjit Singh - Oct 10, 2011
- I am far removed from worldly matters: Lata - Sep 29, 2011
- Jagjit's voice initially seen not suited for films: Lata - Oct 12, 2011
- A song on her lips, a style of her own, Asha Bhosle turns 77 (Sep 8 is Asha Bhosle's birthday) - Sep 07, 2010
- Lata felicitated on father's death anniversary - Apr 25, 2011
- Mehdi Hassan was outstanding: Lata Mangeshkar - Jun 13, 2012
- There will never be another Bhupen Hazarika: Lata - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: 3rd generation, composing a song, debut album, film industry, folk songs, genes, gharana, guru, ji, legendary singers, melody queen, music album, music director, new voice, next generation, niece, pandit, poet, radha, shami