Mammootty vows to boycott liquor in filmsSeptember 15th, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 15 (IANS) Malayalam superstar Mammootty has produced a documentary asking people to shun liquor, and said he too would do so — on the screen.
Mammotty’s 40-second film with a message - Say No to Liquor and Say No to Drugs - was unveiled Thursday by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
“I always try to avoid such scenes but at times it becomes imperative to do it because the situation demands it,” Mammootty said at the event.
“From now on I will do my best to avoid such scenes which depict liquor or liquor imposed scenes,” added Mammootty, the top actor of the Malayalam film industry for two decades.
Pointing to director Priyadarshan at the event, Mammootty said: “You have to ask people like him (Priyadarshan) because they ask us to do this and that. But let me tell you, I will do my best to do away with such scenes.”
Chandy said people should try to rid Kerala of the tag of being India’s largest liquor consumer.
“Not long ago Kerala was known for the huge strides it made in literacy and its health status. But of late it has taken a back seat and we are now known as the top liquor consuming state.
“This has to change. We hope that promotional material like this (Mammootty’s documentary) will do us a world of good,” the chief minister said.
According to a report, liquor sales rose to all time high of Rs.6,730.30 crore in 2010-11 from Rs.5,539.85 crore in 2009-10.
- Chandy asks liquor firms not to stop supplies - Aug 24, 2011
- Kerala film stars to campaign against liquor - Jun 07, 2011
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
- Kerala government says no to new liquor vends - May 27, 2011
- Kerala to cap drinking, raise age bar for buying liquor - Jul 21, 2011
- Kerala's move to open more bars opposed - Jun 19, 2011
- Kerala local bodies can give licence for liquor shops - Dec 01, 2011
- Liquor sales in Kerala reach 'dizzy heights' - Apr 16, 2011
- '45 percent of Kerala drinkers face liver disease threat' - Aug 11, 2011
- Mammootty in promo for Mohanlal's new film? - May 30, 2012
- 'Kutty Srank' felicitated by Kerala government - Oct 11, 2010
- I'd love to do a Malayalam film with Mammootty: Dimple Kapadia - Nov 04, 2010
- Chandy to bat for Kochi IPL - Oct 07, 2011
- Kerala cuts tax on hiked fuel price - May 18, 2011
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: back seat, chief minister, crore, decades, documentary, drugs, film industry, films, health status, India, liquor sales, literacy, malayalam film, mammootty, mammotty, priyadarshan, promotional material, rs 6, strides