Mammootty, Shaji Karun team up for their first filmJune 8th, 2008 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 8 (IANS) Veteran Malayalam superstar Mammootty, who is on a roll with all his releases this year becoming super hits, is upbeat about his latest film “Kutti Srank” with award winning director Shaji N. Karun, shooting for which will begin June 15. This is the first time the two acclaimed veterans of the Malayalam film industry will be teaming together.
Shaji began his career as a cinematographer and later turned to direction, with his first film “Piravi” that was released in 1989 winning him the prestigious Camera d’Or-Mention d’honneur at the Cannes Film Festival.
Since then, every film of Shaji has attracted international attention.
“Kutti Srank” that translates into boat driver has Mammooty playing the lead role. It unfolds through the impressions three women living on different islands form of him when he arrives to deliver supplies.
Mammooty, in turn, reacts differently to what the three women have to say about him.
“I am really excited because I will be playing three different characters but not three different roles,” Mammootty told IANS.
“It is going to be a challenge for me because the basic nature of all the three characters is the same but there are different behavioural patterns and mannerisms based on what the three women say,” he added.
The storyline of the film, Shaji’s fifth, is being kept under wraps. It is scheduled for an international premier at next year’s Cannes Film Festival.
The names of the female leads have also not been revealed beyond that one will be a Sri Lankan and the other a Bengali actress, while the third is still under consideration.
The film will be shot in three schedules, all of them along the Kerala coast.
Anjali, who has been working with acclaimed cinematographer Santosh Sivan, will crank the camera for the film, while its fight sequences will be staged by a Japanese firm that handles the action sequences for Jackie Chan films.
“Kutti Srank” will also mark the maiden entry of Reliance Big Entertainment into the Malayalam film industry.
- Polish composer Preisner to make Indian debut - Aug 24, 2012
- Mammootty starrer 'Kutty Srank' going to Montreal film fest - Aug 11, 2009
- Kutty Srank To Hit Theaters On July 23 - Jun 09, 2010
- Malayalam director Shaji to make documentary on M.F. Husain - Jun 13, 2010
- I'm happy my films won eight national awards: Mammootty - Sep 15, 2010
- 'Kutty Srank' Bags Best Film In National Awards - Sep 17, 2010
- Usha Uthup, Girish Kasaravalli to get Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Kutty Srank' felicitated by Kerala government - Oct 11, 2010
- Regional Films Showcased at the 40th IFFI, Goa - Nov 27, 2009
- Big Pictures scores hat-trick at Montreal film fest - Sep 04, 2009
- Shooting For Mathilukalkkappuram To Start By November - Oct 13, 2010
- 57th National Film Awards: Who will be the best actor? - Sep 15, 2010
- Premiere of Kutty Shranku in Montreal - Aug 04, 2009
- Two Malayalam films go to film festival - Oct 09, 2009
- Big Pictures heads to Pusan, London fest with four films - Oct 06, 2009
Tags: action sequences, anjali, basic nature, behavioural patterns, bengali, boat driver, cannes film festival, fight sequences, film industry, international attention, jackie chan films, japanese firm, kerala coast, lead role, malayalam film, mammootty, mammooty, mannerisms, sri lankan, three women