Mainstream cinema not my cup of tea: Nandita DasApril 24th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 24 (IANS) Critically acclaimed actress-director Nandita Das, who took a sabbatical to take care of her baby, is set to be back with a bang - but says she would rather stay away from mainstream cinema.
“I am very happy doing the kind of films that I do. Of course even that’s a gamble, not all the films turn the way it is imagined. It’s strange, even after 15 years people keep asking me why I don’t do commercial films,” Nandita said here.
Nandita has explored distinctive characters in her movies like “Fire”, “Earth”, “Bawandar”, “Aks” and “I Am”. Nevertheless, she maintains that she has nothing against mainstream commercial cinema.
“It’s just that I don’t relate to commercial films. I don’t watch commercial cinema much, so there is no ambition to be in it. Mainstream cinema is not my cup of tea,” she added.
For now the actress has signed two films and says both are based on contemporary subjects.
“I am finally doing two films. This is my first film after my little baby, who is now 20 months old. I am doing one Tamil film with Rama Swamy, who won three National awards for his films and also a Hindi film by Devashi Bakshi,” said Nandita, who married Mumbai-based Subodh Maskara in 2010.
“Both films are on very interesting stories, unfortunately with no songs and rural characters. Both are contemporary subjects and I am happy to be part of it,” she added.
Nandita, who directed “Firaaq”, which was highly appreciated, says she is in search of a good story which urges her to go behind the camera once again.
“” would like to direct. ‘Firaaq’ was the most challenging experience in my life but it was also very fulfilling. I would definitely want to direct I am in look for a story,”"the 42-year-old said.
- I aim to bring powerful subjects on screen: Nandita Das - Apr 22, 2011
- Nandita to direct play (Movie Snippets) - Jul 10, 2012
- Films have power to threaten subtly: Nandita Das - Apr 12, 2011
- Indian film industry ignores children: Nandita Das (Interview) - Jul 09, 2012
- Working in 55-year-old government structure not easy: Nandita - Jan 10, 2012
- Shabana, Deepti remember Jagmohan Mundhra - Sep 07, 2011
- I'm not doing 'Midnight's Children': Nandita Das - Feb 24, 2011
- Now Nandita to direct film on flesh trade - Sep 06, 2010
- Nandita Das In Kolkata To Shoot For Onir's Film - Mar 09, 2010
- Nandita Das bestowed French honour - Apr 16, 2011
- 'Our cinema is creating literature for India' - Dec 12, 2011
- Nandita Das To Direct Another Film - Sep 06, 2010
- Asin wants to do only commercial movies - Mar 22, 2012
- Aanjjan keen to do film with global theme - Jun 15, 2012
- Filmgoers have stopped taking cinema seriously: Adoor Gopalakrishnan (Interview) - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: actress, aks, ambition, april 24, bakshi, commercial cinema, commercial films, cup of tea, distinctive characters, hindi film, little baby, mainstream cinema, maskara, mumbai, nandita das, national awards, rama, swamy, tamil, two films