Mahdi Army warns of new insurgency in Iraq if US troops stay until 2011November 22nd, 2008 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
Baghdad, Nov.22 (ANI): Iraqs Mahdi Army, which is led by rebel leader Hojatoleslam Moqtada al-Sadr, has warned of a new insurgency across the country if the United States decides not to withdraw its troops till 2011.
No, no to the agreement of humiliation, al-Sadrs followers chanted at a demonstration against the pact in a square in Baghdad on Friday.
According to The Times, at one point, an effigy of US President George W Bush, dressed in a black suit and carrying a suitcase labelled security agreement, was hoisted up a parapet where the Saddam statue once stood in Firdous Square. After a special session of Friday prayers, members of the crowd swarmed over to the effigy and pelted it with shoes, boots and bottles of water, knocking the scarecrow-like figure off its post. Then they tore the dummy apart and set it alight. Iraqi MPs have been locked in an often rancorous row over an accord, which requires US troops to leave towns and cities by the middle of next year and to leave Iraq by the end of 2011. It was approved by the Cabinet last Sunday.
Nouri al-Maliki, the Prime Minister, defends the deal as a long-desired withdrawal timetable for the 150,000-strong US force.
Opponents, such as the 30 MPs loyal to Hojatoleslam al-Sadr, argue that it merely extends the occupation beyond a United Nations mandate that expires at the end of the year. (ANI)
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- Tens of thousands protest in Baghdad to demand U.S. troops to leave - May 27, 2011
- Anti-U.S. cleric Muqtada al-Sadr returns to Iraq - Jan 06, 2011
- Iraqis stage demonstration after Gates 'US military to stay for years' remark - Apr 10, 2011
- American held captive in Iraq released - Mar 18, 2012
- Iran openly backs Iraqi PM Maliki for second term - Oct 19, 2010
- Iraq marks first Army Day - Jan 07, 2012
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard aided Iraqi militias during second Gulf War - Oct 23, 2010
- Iraqi PM rules out US troops' stay beyond 2011 - Dec 28, 2010
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- US troops to be out of Iraq this year - Dec 12, 2011
Tags: black suit, effigy, george w bush, humiliation, insurgency in iraq, last sunday, mahdi army, moqtada al sadr, mps, nouri al maliki, pact, parapet, president george w bush, rebel leader, saddam statue, scarecrow, security agreement, special session, suitcase, towns and cities