Madonna’s millions raised from Malawi fundraiser go ‘missing’April 1st, 2009 - 12:46 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, April 1 (ANI): Millions of dollars raised from Madonna’s Malawi fundraiser last year have no address, it has emerged.
According to Fox News, the estimated 3.7 million dollars remain unaccountable after repeated inquiries to The Gucci Foundation and the singer’s Raising Malawi charity.
The Queen of Pop had previously urged her fellow celebrities to donate for the cause, which is backed by Jewish mysticism Kabbalah and dedicated to helping Malawi’s one million poverty-stricken orphans.
The US-based channel claimed that fourteen months ago the entire event was alleged to have been underwritten and the amount divided between Raising Malawi and UNICEF.
But, both the Gucci Foundation and Madonna’s non-profit organisation were yet to file a Form 990 tax statement, leaving room for suspicion, according to the channel.
The development comes at a time when the megastar is back in the African country for a second adoption.
The 50-year-old, who adopted three-year-old David Banda from the region, recently pleaded to Lilongwe’s High Court to let her take home four-year-old Mercy James, whose teenage mother had died three years ago.
She will next appear in court for the ongoing adoption process on April 3. (ANI)
- Madonna Visits Malawi For Charity Tour - Apr 06, 2010
- Madonna back in Malawi - Apr 06, 2010
- Madonna axes board of directors of her Raising Malawi charity - Apr 03, 2011
- Madonna's school coming up fast in Malawi - Jan 10, 2010
- Madge 'flies Mercy straight to Kabbalah meeting' - Jun 21, 2009
- Madonna's plan to build school in Malawi collapses - Mar 25, 2011
- Malawians split over court 'no' to Madonna adoption (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Madonna arrives in Malawi to lay foundation for girls school - Oct 26, 2009
- Madonna requests Malawi court to let her adopt a daughter - Mar 31, 2009
- Madonna's Malawi school displaces people - Feb 13, 2010
- Malawi court turns down Madonna's second adoption - Apr 03, 2009
- Madonna mulls 'legal options' over failed school project in Africa - Mar 28, 2011
- Madonna showers Malawi orphans with gifts - Dec 28, 2010
- Madonna to open an orphanage - Jun 30, 2011
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
Tags: adoption, april 1, david banda, form 990, fox news, gucci, jewish mysticism, kabbalah, madonna, megastar, mercy james, million dollars, one million, orphans, poverty, profit organisation, queen of pop, suspicion, teenage mother, unicef