Madonna’s lawyer brands Malawian girl’s father opportunistMay 6th, 2009 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
London, May 5 (IANS) Pop diva Madonna’s lawyer has branded as an opportunist the man who claims to be the father of the girl the singer wants to adopt.
The “Frozen” hitmaker’s appeal against a ban on adopting three-year-old Mercy James was also postponed after James Kambewa, supposed to be her biological father, tried to restake his claim on her and the singer’s lawyers have slammed him, reports the Mirror online.
“Her (Mercy’s) mother died while giving birth to her, no family member has ever come forward to claim this child and now some man appears claiming to be the father,” Madonna’s lawyer Alan Chinula said.
“He is just an opportunist. Who is he to claim paternity rights now, three years later? He didn’t even know he had a daughter, if indeed Mercy is his daughter, until now,” he added.
Kambewa, 24, has just a few days to appoint a lawyer and bring a case calling for an injunction to halt Madonna’s bid while she faces a wait over her appeal after judges at the Supreme Court of Appeal decided to take time out to deliberate.
They said they would call another hearing to announce their decision.
In April, Malawi’s High Court also refused the adoption on the grounds that Madonna, 50, is not a resident. Her team branded the residency law archaic and told judges it was their “moral duty” to ignore it.
- Mercy's family may sue Madonna - Feb 06, 2011
- Madonna's Malawian daughter's family plans to sue over break of visit vow - Feb 07, 2011
- Madge won't allow Malawian dad to meet adopted daughter Mercy - Aug 30, 2010
- Madge's adoptive daughter's family has no legal right to see her: Lawyer - Feb 10, 2011
- Madge's adopted daughter's father wants pictures of girl - Aug 09, 2010
- Madonna's lawyers 'hopeful' adoption appeal would succeed - May 05, 2009
- Father of Madonna's Mercy upset after missing meeting with daughter - Apr 08, 2010
- Madonna plans Malawi trip to 'reunite Mercy with her biological family' - Mar 30, 2010
- Malawian girl's father speaks out against Madonna - May 03, 2009
- 'Ecstatic' Madonna wins second Malawi adoption case - Jun 13, 2009
- Madonna appeals adoption case in Malawi - May 04, 2009
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
- Madonna lacks good morals, says Malawi girl's father - Apr 30, 2009
- Madonna may soon take Mercy James home - Jun 09, 2009
- Madonna 'snubs' adopted kids' families in Malawi - Nov 01, 2009
Tags: adoption, biological father, court of appeal, family member, few days, giving birth, hitmaker, injunction, lawyer, lawyers, london, madonna, malawi, mercy james, mirror, moral duty, opportunist, paternity rights, pop diva, supreme court