Madonna yelled ‘Whaaaat’, held head in her hands when adoption bid failedApril 4th, 2009 - 12:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 4 (ANI): Madonna screamed in disbelief and held her head in her hands yesterday after a judge denied her bid to adopt four-year-old Malawian orphan Chifundo “Mercy” James.
As her lawyer broke the news, the shocked singer yelled: “Whaaat?”
The 50-year-old singer had been told by government officials that Mercy James was “definitely hers”, reports The Sun.
Following the decision, Madonna, who had spent nearly two years preparing to adopt the tot as a sister to Malawian son David Banda, sat motionless before “furiously storming off” to her room at the luxury lodge where she had been staying in the African country.
A worker there said: “She was unrecognisably angry - she seemed in emotional agony. We couldn’t tell if she was crying, but her daughter Lourdes ran and put her arms round her. Madonna said to her lawyer, ‘This is the worst day of my life’.
“She yelled at him, ‘What went wrong? How could this happen’? He was staring at the ground.”
The American star was so confident Mercy would be her daughter she had already held celebratory parties and refurbished her home to accommodate the tot.
Malawian Judge Esme Chombo had rejected Madonna’s adoption bid on the grounds she is not resident there. (ANI)
- Madonna screamed as judge rejected adoption plea - Apr 05, 2009
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
- Malawi shows mercy to Madonna over Chifundo adoption - Jun 12, 2009
- Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy James - Jun 14, 2009
- Madonna's Malawian daughter's family plans to sue over break of visit vow - Feb 07, 2011
- Father of Madonna's Mercy upset after missing meeting with daughter - Apr 08, 2010
- Madonna to get Malawi adoption approval for Chifundo (Mercy) - Jun 09, 2009
- Madge's adoptive daughter's family has no legal right to see her: Lawyer - Feb 10, 2011
- Madonna wants to be tougher parent - Apr 19, 2012
- Madge won't allow Malawian dad to meet adopted daughter Mercy - Aug 30, 2010
- Mercy James' 'dad' doesn't want Madonna to be her mum - Apr 05, 2009
- Malawian girl's father speaks out against Madonna - May 03, 2009
- Madonna gets appeal date for Mercy's adoption - Apr 21, 2009
- 'Tearful' Mercy James pleads for 'her mum Madonna' - Apr 06, 2009
- Madonna still wants to adopt African tot - Apr 13, 2009
Tags: adoption, american star, chombo, david banda, disbelief, emotional agony, esme, government officials, lawyer, london, luxury lodge, madonna, mercy james, orphan, staring at the ground, sun, worst day of my life