Madonna tells Mercy “You are part of us now” after adoption winJune 13th, 2009 - 1:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 13 (ANI): An emotional Madonna told Malawi orphan Mercy James, “You are part of us now” after the singer was granted permission to adopt a second child from the country.
Earlier the star was stopped from adopting four-year-old orphan Chifundo “Mercy” James. Back in April, a judge had dumped the 50-year-old’s adoption plans by saying prospective parents had to be resident in Malawi for 18 months.
However, the appeals court said that decision did not take into account the singer’s commitment to helping disadvantaged children, reports The Sun.
After hearing the court’s verdict, Madonna phoned Mercy from New York in floods of tears.
She read her a “letter of motherly devotion” written with daughter Lourdes, 12.
The Material Girl told Mercy, four: “Today is your new birthday, my darling daughter, as it is the day you came to me.
“It is a new beginning for us all. The world is ours to change together now. I promise I will love, protect and guide you with my every breath.
“I can’t wait to welcome you to your new home, my beautiful child. You are part of us now - of me, Lola, Rocco and David. You are so loved.”
Apparently, Madonna had stayed up all night praying in her New York home.
A source said: “I’ve never seen her so emotional or so happy. She was giddy.”
Madonna adopted David Banda - now three - from Malawi in 2006. (ANI)
- Madonna wants to be tougher parent - Apr 19, 2012
- Madonna to open an orphanage - Jun 30, 2011
- Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy James - Jun 14, 2009
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
- Madonna cancels OZ show for children's sake - Aug 28, 2012
- Madonna takes David, Mercy to Malawi - Apr 06, 2010
- Madonna 'snubs' adopted kids' families in Malawi - Nov 01, 2009
- Madonna's school coming up fast in Malawi - Jan 10, 2010
- Madonna still wants to adopt African tot - Apr 13, 2009
- Madge's adoptive daughter's family has no legal right to see her: Lawyer - Feb 10, 2011
- Madonna appeals adoption case in Malawi - May 04, 2009
- 'Tearful' Mercy James pleads for 'her mum Madonna' - Apr 06, 2009
- Madonna plans Malawi trip to 'reunite Mercy with her biological family' - Mar 30, 2010
- Father of Madonna's Mercy upset after missing meeting with daughter - Apr 08, 2010
- Madge's adopted daughter's father wants pictures of girl - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: adoption plans, appeals court, beautiful child, darling daughter, daughter lourdes, david banda, disadvantaged children, floods of tears, lola, london, madonna, material girl, mercy james, motherly devotion, prospective parents, rocco, sun