Madonna still wants to adopt African totApril 13th, 2009 - 12:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 13 (ANI): Madonna is still trying her luck to adopt four-year-old Malawian orphan Chifundo “Mercy” James, despite a judge rejecting her application.
The 50-year-old had spent nearly two years preparing to adopt the tot as a sister to her adopted Malawian son David Banda, and her biological kids Lourdes and Rocco.
Her application was rejected due to a requirement that prospective parents be resident in the country for 18 to 24 months.
However, according to reports, the Queen of Pop is still keen on bringing Mercy to her New York home.
Her attorney is said to have lodged an appeal against the judge’s ruling though a date for the hearing was yet to be marked.
“Though I have been advised that I cannot publicly discuss the pending appeal regarding my desire to adopt Mercy, I do want to say how much I appreciate the level of support that I have received from the people of Malawi and my friends around the world,” the BBC quoted Madonna as saying reportedly.
Meanwhile, the Nation on Sunday reported that the singer, in a response to an email sent by the paper, wanted to make certain that the little girl was brought up in “a loving family environment”. (ANI)
- Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy James - Jun 14, 2009
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
- Madge wanted African tot to have 'a loving family environment' - Apr 13, 2009
- Madonna appeals adoption case in Malawi - May 04, 2009
- Madonna tells Mercy "You are part of us now" after adoption win - Jun 13, 2009
- Madonna's school coming up fast in Malawi - Jan 10, 2010
- Madonna yelled 'Whaaaat', held head in her hands when adoption bid failed - Apr 04, 2009
- 'Tearful' Mercy James pleads for 'her mum Madonna' - Apr 06, 2009
- Madonna to spend just 3 weeks with Malawi tot Mercy before world tour - Jun 15, 2009
- Father of Madonna's Mercy upset after missing meeting with daughter - Apr 08, 2010
- Malawian girl's father speaks out against Madonna - May 03, 2009
- Madonna's adoption of Mercy wins hearts in Malawi - Jun 15, 2009
- Madonna wants to be tougher parent - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Ecstatic' Madonna wins second Malawi adoption case - Jun 13, 2009
- Madonna's Malawian daughter's family plans to sue over break of visit vow - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: bbc, david banda, desire, email, friends around the world, little girl, london, lourdes, loving family environment, madonna, malawi, mercy james, orphan, prospective parents, queen of pop, rocco