Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy JamesJune 14th, 2009 - 1:18 am ICT by John Le Fevre
MalawiIt’s been revealed that singing sensation Madonna pumped more than $US12 million into the impoverished Malawi economy in the lead-up to the country’s Court of Appeal approving her adoption of the orphan Chifundo, aka Mercy James.
The ruing has angered NGOs and Welfare groups who say the overturning of the March decision by Supreme Court Judge Esme Chombo, “smacks of bribery.
“How can they refuse her requests when she gives Malawi so much?”
James Kambewa, who claims to be Mercy’s father, yesterday said he had opposed the adoption but claimed he was ignored.
James said, “I’m crying. I need my baby. I will not give up. I will contact whoever I can to try to find a way forward.”
While the decision might anger some, Chifundo’s uncle, Peter Baneti, said the family welcomed the ruling. “We hope Mercy will be joining Madonna soon,” he said.
Malawi’s Chief Justice Lovemore Munlo ruled that four-year-old Chifundo, will receive a better life with the star, who already has an adopted three-year-old son from Malawi named David Banda.
The judge said, “Madonna has been judged to be a compassionate, intelligent and articulate person. Her adoption of Mercy James is not a selfish act. No Malawian family has expressed their intention to adopt her.
“Baby CJ has only two options – to stay in an orphanage with no love or family or to be with the applicant where she is assured of love and care. Every child has the right to love.”
The 50-year-old entertainer is reported to have whooped with joy when she learned the news in a 3am phone call from her lawyer in Malawi.
Madonna is reported to have spent £12million ($US19.7 million) funding six orphanages, as well as paying for shoes, clothes, books and mosquito nets.
A private jet is said to be on standby to fly Mercy to New York as soon as her papers are ready. She will then be reunited with Madonna, her new sister Lourdes, 12, and brothers Rocco, eight, and David, three.
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
- Madonna 'snubs' adopted kids' families in Malawi - Nov 01, 2009
- Madge's adoptive daughter's family has no legal right to see her: Lawyer - Feb 10, 2011
- Mercy's family may sue Madonna - Feb 06, 2011
- Madge won't allow Malawian dad to meet adopted daughter Mercy - Aug 30, 2010
- Top Malawi judge to crush Madonna's adoption dream - May 03, 2009
- Madonna's adoption hopes boost - Apr 07, 2009
- Madonna plans Malawi trip to 'reunite Mercy with her biological family' - Mar 30, 2010
- Malawian girl's father speaks out against Madonna - May 03, 2009
- Malawi shows mercy to Madonna over Chifundo adoption - Jun 12, 2009
- 'Ecstatic' Madonna wins second Malawi adoption case - Jun 13, 2009
- Madge's adopted daughter's father wants pictures of girl - Aug 09, 2010
- Father of Madonna's Mercy upset after missing meeting with daughter - Apr 08, 2010
- Madonna's Malawian daughter's family plans to sue over break of visit vow - Feb 07, 2011
- Malawi court allows Madonna to adopt Mercy - Jun 12, 2009
Tags: articulate person, better life, bribery, chief justice, chombo, clothes books, court of appeal, esme, lovemore, madonna, mercy james, mosquito nets, orphanage, orphanages, private jet, rocco, selfish act, singing sensation, supreme court judge, welfare groups