Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan ChifundoJune 21st, 2009 - 4:11 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Singing sensation Madonna has arrived in London on her way to the impoverished African nation of Malawi to collect her newly adopted daughter Chifundo, aka Mercy James.
The Queen of Pop is expected in Malawi within 24 hours, with a worker tending the lawns at the luxury Kumbali Lodge where Mercy has been staying saying, “We have been told to prepare Madonna’s suite - officials have brought in new linen.”
Once there 50-year-old Madonna will throw a thank you party for children, government officials and the staff at her charity, Raising Malawi.
Last week Malawi’s Court of Appeal overturned a judgment by Supreme Court Judge Esme Chombo that blocked Madonna’s adoption application.
The ruling has angered NGOs and welfare groups who say the overturning of the March decision “smacks of bribery.
Madonna is reported to have pumped more than $US12 million into the Malawi economy in the lead-up to the Court of Appeal approving her application.
Malawi’s Chief Justice Lovemore Munlo ruled that four-year-old Chifundo, will receive a better life with the star, who already has an adopted three-year-old son from Malawi named David Banda.
The judge said, “Madonna has been judged to be a compassionate, intelligent and articulate person. Her adoption of Mercy James is not a selfish act. No Malawian family has expressed their intention to adopt her.
James Kambewa, who claims to be Mercy’s father, said, he had opposed the adoption but claimed he was ignored.
Madonna is expected to travel to Africa with her children Lourdes, 12, Rocco, eight, and David Banda, three.
- Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy James - Jun 14, 2009
- Madge won't allow Malawian dad to meet adopted daughter Mercy - Aug 30, 2010
- Malawi shows mercy to Madonna over Chifundo adoption - Jun 12, 2009
- Madonna appeals adoption case in Malawi - May 04, 2009
- Madonna gets court nod to adopt Malawian kid - Jun 13, 2009
- Malawian girl's father speaks out against Madonna - May 03, 2009
- 'Ecstatic' Madonna wins second Malawi adoption case - Jun 13, 2009
- Top Malawi judge to crush Madonna's adoption dream - May 03, 2009
- Malawi court allows Madonna to adopt Mercy - Jun 12, 2009
- Madonna's school coming up fast in Malawi - Jan 10, 2010
- Madonna gets appeal date for Mercy's adoption - Apr 21, 2009
- Mercy James' 'dad' doesn't want Madonna to be her mum - Apr 05, 2009
- Madonna to get Malawi adoption approval for Chifundo (Mercy) - Jun 09, 2009
- Madonna 'snubs' adopted kids' families in Malawi - Nov 01, 2009
- Madonna's second Malawian adoption bid 'confirmed' - Apr 01, 2009
Tags: adoption application, african nation, articulate person, better life, bribery, chief justice, chombo, court of appeal, david banda, esme, lawns, lovemore, madonna, mercy flight, mercy james, queen of pop, selfish act, singing sensation, supreme court judge, welfare groups