Madonna, Guy divorce: time to divide the spoilsOctober 16th, 2008 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 16 (IANS) With pop star Madaonna and British director Guy Ritchie formally announcing their decision to divorce, there are speculations about how the family riches will be split.The couple issued a short joint statement Wednesday to announce the end of their marriage.
“Madonna and Guy Ritchie have agreed to divorce after seven-and-a-half years of marriage. They have both requested that the media maintain respect for their family at this difficult time,” said the statement.
Newspapers in Britain speculated on when and where would the divorce proceedings start, who among the top-notch legal firms would represent them and the fate of their children.
But the real teaser was how they would split up their riches. Whatever the outcome, the speculation is Guy will be the beneficiary considering his personal wealth is estimated to be between 20-30 million pounds, compared to the family wealth of 300 million pound.
Forbes magazine put Madonna’s earnings for the year to June 2008 at 20 million pounds, down from 36 million pounds the previous year. In particular, last year she struck a 60 million pounds, ten year deal with concert promoter Live Nation Inc.
Here is the list of assets:
- 7 million pound family townhouse in Marylebone
- 6 million pound 10-bed property next door
- 4 million pound two London mews cottages
- Punch Bowl pub in Mayfair, London
- 3.6 million pound West End building used as the Kabbalah headquarters, and a five storey, 1.6 million pound house in Regents Park also used by the sect, loosely affiliated to Judaism
- 10 million pound Ashcombe House, a country house estate in Wiltshire.
- 4 million pound two Manhattan apartments overlooking New York’s Central Park
- A home in Beverley Hills, also worth several millions.
- Cars including a 47,000 pound Audi Q7, a 35,000 pound Mercedes Benz people carrier and a 58,000 pound Range Rover.
The Times has said it is thought the couple did not have a prenuptial agreement, potentially putting Ritchie in line for a settlement of up to 50 million pounds.