Madonna appeals adoption case in MalawiMay 4th, 2009 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, May 4 (DPA) Pop diva Madonna Monday made a fresh attempt to adopt a second child from the southern African state of Malawi, according to media reports.
Lawyers for the 50-year-old US-born singer launched an appeal against a Malawian court’s rejection of her application to adopt a four-year-old girl, Chifundo James, known as “Mercy”, according to BBC. The singer was not present in court.
The court recently denied the application on the basis that Madonna did not meet the legal requirement for adoption because she was not resident in the country.
In 2006, the singer adopted the then 13-month-old David Banda in Malawi. She recently returned to the country with Banda and her two older biological children, Lourdes and Rocco.
Mercy, whose mother died shortly after giving birth, has been living in an orphanage. The man who claims to be her father, James Kambewa, has reportedly sought custody, saying he wanted to take care of the child.
Kambewa, 24, wrote to prosecutors seeking a court order that would prevent the wealthy singer from adopting Mercy.
- Malawian girl's father speaks out against Madonna - May 03, 2009
- Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy James - Jun 14, 2009
- Madge won't allow Malawian dad to meet adopted daughter Mercy - Aug 30, 2010
- Madonna on Mercy flight to collect Malawi Orphan Chifundo - Jun 21, 2009
- Madonna 'snubs' adopted kids' families in Malawi - Nov 01, 2009
- Madonna's school coming up fast in Malawi - Jan 10, 2010
- 'Ecstatic' Madonna wins second Malawi adoption case - Jun 13, 2009
- Madonna's adoption of Mercy wins hearts in Malawi - Jun 15, 2009
- Father of Madonna's Mercy upset after missing meeting with daughter - Apr 08, 2010
- Madonna gets court nod to adopt Malawian kid - Jun 13, 2009
- Madonna's Malawian daughter's family plans to sue over break of visit vow - Feb 07, 2011
- Madonna plans Malawi trip to 'reunite Mercy with her biological family' - Mar 30, 2010
- Madonna's lawyers 'hopeful' adoption appeal would succeed - May 05, 2009
- Madonna still wants to adopt African tot - Apr 13, 2009
- Madonna tells Mercy "You are part of us now" after adoption win - Jun 13, 2009