Madge wanted African tot to have ‘a loving family environment’April 13th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 13 (ANI): Madonna has opened up for the first time about her failed attempt to adopt four-year-old Malawian orphan Mercy James.
The Queen of Pop had to face dejection when her application was declined due to a requirement that prospective parents be resident in the country for 18 to 24 months.
The 50-year-old said that she wanted to make sure that the tot, who would have been a sister to her adopted Malawian son David Banda and her biological kids Lourdes and Rocco, was raised in “a loving family environment”.
“I want to provide Mercy with a home, a loving family environment and the best education and healthcare possible,” the Daily Star quoted her as telling Malawi’s Nation newspaper in response to its questions.
“It’s my hope that she, like David, will one day return to Malawi and help the people of their country,” she added.
The singer is still allegedly keen on bringing Mercy to her New York home, and has filed an appeal against the judge’s ruling.
She added: “Though I have been advised that I cannot publicly discuss the pending appeal, I do want to say how much I appreciate the level of support that I have received from the people of Malawi and from my friends around the world.” (ANI)
- Madonna still wants to adopt African tot - Apr 13, 2009
- Madonna's adoption hope still alive - Apr 14, 2009
- Adopted son David Banda is Madonna's biggest fan - Dec 09, 2009
- 'Tearful' Mercy James pleads for 'her mum Madonna' - Apr 06, 2009
- Madonna pays $19 million to adopt Malawi orphan Mercy James - Jun 14, 2009
- Madonna tells Mercy "You are part of us now" after adoption win - Jun 13, 2009
- Madonna wants to be tougher parent - Apr 19, 2012
- Madonna 'to cocoon Mercy from the world' - Jun 22, 2009
- Madonna to spend just 3 weeks with Malawi tot Mercy before world tour - Jun 15, 2009
- Madonna's Malawian daughter's family plans to sue over break of visit vow - Feb 07, 2011
- Madonna's school coming up fast in Malawi - Jan 10, 2010
- 'Ecstatic' Madonna wins second Malawi adoption case - Jun 13, 2009
- Madonna takes David, Mercy to Malawi - Apr 06, 2010
- Father of Madonna's Mercy upset after missing meeting with daughter - Apr 08, 2010
- Madonna learns breakdance from son - May 18, 2012