Madge, Macca scrap Aussie tour dates in wake of recessionNovember 30th, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Nov 30 (ANI): Owing to the global credit crunch, superstars including Madonna, Paul McCartney and Neil Diamond have scrapped Australian tour plans.
According to reports, Madonna was scheduled to perform at Sydney’’s ANZ Stadium and Melbourne’’s Docklands in late January.
In fact, Tickets for Madonna’’s shows were due to go on sale two weeks ago and The Material Girl planned to charge a top ticket price of 400 dollars.
The shows were being presented by US tour giant Live Nation and local promoter Michael Coppel.
“It got as close as anything ever gets. Madonna was coming to Australia, the dates were resolved, then economics got in the way,”” The Daily Telegraph quoted a tour industry source as saying.
Even Coppel confirmed the Madonna deal, but did not divulge more details.
Recently, many of the world superstars have postponed and even called off their tour plans because of the weak dollar.
According to concert industry sources, Diamond, McCartney, The Eagles, Green Day and Metallica have put visits on hold because of the bad economy.
“It’’s unknown territory at the moment. A lot of tours went on sale before the dollar crashed. We are only starting to see the affect of the economy on the tour industry, said promoter Michael Chugg.
Coppel said the weak dollar had made promoters, and touring superstars, cautious.
“Everyone is feeling their way. The risk level has gone up substantially,”” he said. (ANI)
- Bon Jovi's The Circle show 'was highest earning tour of 2010' - Dec 30, 2010
- U2 to perform in Melbourne in December - Aug 22, 2010
- Taylor Swift releases the video of 'Sparks Fly' - Aug 11, 2011
- Sir Paul McCartney To Play In Utah - May 21, 2010
- Madonna cancels Australian tour - Jul 19, 2012
- Paul McCartney's Tour Dates Revealed - Feb 23, 2010
- U2 named world's highest paid musicians - Jun 18, 2011
- Joe Walsh and Paul McCartney get standing ovation at the Grammy Awards - Feb 14, 2012
- McCartney inks deal to preserve Beatles' works - Sep 23, 2010
- Madonna and boyfriend Brahim Zaibat split over religious issues - May 10, 2011
- Madonna's concert tickets go on sale - Feb 27, 2012
- Paul McCartney To Astound Utah - May 21, 2010
- Madonna planning Oz tour? - Mar 04, 2010
- India win second T20 by eight wickets - Feb 03, 2012
- Madonna- Most Popular Celebrity In The Past Decade - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: anz stadium, daily telegraph, docklands, global credit crunch, industry source, industry sources, live nation, madonna, material girl, michael chugg, neil diamond, paul mccartney, promoter, promoters, recession, risk level, ticket price, unknown territory, weak dollar, world superstars