Madame Tussauds New York unveils Amitabh Bachchan wax figure (With Image)May 22nd, 2009 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
New York, May 22 (IANS) A wax figure of Indian film star Amitabh Bachchan was unveiled at Madame Tussauds New York with a “Bollywood Bash” being held at Times Square here.
“We are thrilled to welcome Amitabh Bachchan to his new home in Madame Tussauds,” said a statement quoting Janine DiGioacchino, general manager of Madame Tussauds New York.
“Bachchan is a Bollywood film legend and we could think of no better figure to open the new Bollywood Zone, which is an exciting addition to our Times Square attraction.”
Five Bollywood dancers, dressed in colourful Lehenga skirts, performed and taught 20 middle school students traditional Indian dance at the “Bollywood Bash”, the statement said Friday.
Bachchan’s figure is dressed in a traditional black Sherwani suit with a gold and black scarf draped around his neck.
It is the first figure to be part of Madame Tussauds New York’s all-new Bollywood Zone.
The brightly-coloured, fully-interactive area includes the “Taj Mahal”, videos of authentic Indian dancers and a photo area where visitors can pose as Bollywood stars - all designed to re-create the experience of being on a Bollywood film set with Bachchan.
Over the coming years, Madame Tussauds plans to expand the area to include figures of other prominent Bollywood stars.
Bachchan has starred in more than 150 films and once held a seat in Indian Parliament.
- Salman Khan's wax figure coming to New York - Jul 28, 2012
- Shah Rukh finds a place at New York Madame Tussauds (With Images) - Aug 13, 2010
- Big wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong - Mar 25, 2011
- Shah Rukh Khan to appear in wax at Times Square - Aug 11, 2010
- Madhuri unveils her wax statue in London - Mar 07, 2012
- Madhuri Dixit to be immortalised in wax - Jan 05, 2012
- Kareena unveiled at Tussauds - Oct 27, 2011
- Amitabh's wax statue showcased at IIFA Macau - Jun 11, 2009
- Hrithik unveils his wax figure at Madame Tussauds - Jan 21, 2011
- Madhuri's wax statue to be unveiled March 7 - Feb 05, 2012
- Hrithik among most kissed at Madame Tussauds? - Oct 30, 2011
- Hrithik shoots 'Just Dance' at Madame Tussauds - May 03, 2011
- Now Hrithik to enter Madame Tussauds - Jul 08, 2010
- Pattinson to be immortalised in wax for Tussauds museums - Mar 03, 2010
- Justin Bieber sized up for waxwork at Madame Tussauds - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: amitabh bachchan, bollywood film, bollywood stars, bollywood zone, film legend, indian dance, indian dancers, indian film star, indian parliament, interactive area, lehenga, madame tussauds new york, middle school students, parliament, photo area, scarf, star amitabh bachchan, taj mahal, times square, wax figure