Mad Men using product integrationAugust 18th, 2009 - 6:25 pm ICT by IBNS
Aug 18 (IBNS) The fans of Mad Men might know that the show is about a fictional 1960s advertising agency Sterling Cooper that names other real-life agencies and brands to achieve some verisimilitude.
But in reality some of those are actual product placements, reports Hollywood Reporter.
The show’s third season, which premiered Sunday, featured placements with London Fog and Stolichnaya vodka that both brands said were engineered.
In the first episode of Season 3, it was shown that London Fog is a client of Sterling Cooper’s, and the father and son running the company appears to be at odds about the direction of the brand. Mad Men’s protagonist, Don Draper (Jon Hamm) is out to dream up a new ad campaign.
Stoli also got a thumbs up from agency head Roger Sterling (John Slattery), who was shown celebrating with the drink and denying upstart Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser) the vodka.
A representative from London Fog confirmed that the brand’s placement in the show was facilitated by the company’s PR agency and but declined to comment whether money changed hands.
Andrey Skurikhin, a partner at SPI Group, which owns the Stoli brand, also said that he didn’t pay for placement. Skurikhin said that AMC contacted him, and he, being a fan of the show, gladly accepted the offer and also gifted them a bottle from 1963 to conform to the show’s historical accuracy.
“It’s one of the great tools of brand awareness,” he said.
- Mel Gibson to appear in 'Mad Men' - Sep 25, 2010
- "Mad Men" Season 4 Finally Premieres On AMC - Jul 26, 2010
- 'Mad Men' should end : Jon Hamm - Jun 14, 2011
- Jon Hamm Returns With Much Anticipated "Mad Men" Season 4 Premire Tonight - Jul 25, 2010
- 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards: Nominees & Winners - Aug 30, 2010
- Mattel Brings Mad Men Into Barbie's World:No Drinking or Smoking - Mar 11, 2010
- 18,500 bottles of fake vodka destroyed in China - Apr 24, 2012
- 'Mad Men' wins Emmy for best drama series - Aug 30, 2010
- Jon Hamm to direct the premiere of 'Mad Men' Season 5 - May 27, 2011
- 'Mad Men' Comes Up With An Exciting Episode - Oct 08, 2010
- 'Mad Men' Season 4 Episode 12 Review: Not Blowing Spoke At All! - Nov 25, 2010
- Will Jane Lynch Be Able To Pull Off The Don Draper Look? - Oct 11, 2010
- Will Mad Men End in 2012? - Apr 20, 2010
- Review Of 'Mad Men' - Oct 12, 2010
- AMC cancels Rubicon after just 1 season - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: ad campaign, advertising agency, brand awareness, father and son, great tools, hollywood reporter, john slattery, jon hamm, london fog, mad men, pete campbell, pr agency, product integration, product placements, protagonist, season 3, third season, upstart, verisimilitude, vincent kartheiser