‘Lucky to have Akshay uncle’s support’September 20th, 2011 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 20 (IANS) Actor-producer Akshay Kumar took time off from the shooting of “Joker” to promote his first Indo-Canadian venture “Speedy Singh”. Vinay Virmani, who is debuting with the movie, says he is lucky to have the Bollywood star’s support.
Akshy visited Golden Temple in Amritsar and joined Vinay’s parents and sister and co-star Camilla to pray for the film’s success.
“I’m very lucky to have Akshay uncle’s support. He’s a role model. But more than that he is someone who understands Hindi commercial cinema. That’s where I want to be,” said Vinay, who is Toronto-based businessman Ajay Virmani’s son.
“Speedy Singh”, which was earlier titled “Breakaway”, is Akshay’s first Indo-Canadian film. His production company Hari Om Entertainment and First Take Entertainment have co-produced the film which also stars Russell Peters, Camilla Belle and Anupam Kher.
Directed by Robert Lieberman, the film is about ice hockey and Akshay makes a special appearance in it.
“I’m completely bowled over by how welcome I’ve been made to feel in Bollywood and India. Whether it’s Akshay Uncle, who’s family, or Harbhajan Singh, they’ve been very supportive and have gone out of their way to support me,” said Vinay.
The newcomer says he grew up in a miniature Bollywood.
“In Toronto, we always had guests from Bollywood. And I grew up surrounded by stars. I speak fluent Punjabi and Hindi. And yes, I am hoping for a career in Hindi cinema.
“Bollywood was always on my mind from the time I was a child. Then I sat down to write the story of what eventually became ‘Speedy Singh’. A lot of what you see of the young Punjabi guy’s struggle to make a place for himself in the film is taken from my own life,” said Vinay.
- Punjabi family comedy 'Breakaway' to premiere at Toronto - Aug 10, 2011
- 'Singh Is Kinng' sequel awaiting script: Akshay - Jul 29, 2011
- Bollywood-Hollywood love affair must grow: Russell Peters (Interview) - Sep 24, 2011
- Ludacris rhymes even in his talk: Akshay Kumar - Sep 22, 2011
- Akshay ropes in rapper Ludacris for 'Breakaway' - Oct 30, 2010
- Akshay Kumar Ropes In Hip Hop Sensation Ludacris For The Music Video Of Breakaway - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Speedy Singh' - A cliche-loaded NRI tale (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Sep 24, 2011
- Akshay Kumar Plays Himself To Launch Best Friend’s Son - Oct 28, 2010
- Akshay to play himself for best friend's son - Oct 24, 2010
- Akshay finalises lead for Indo-Canadian movie - Aug 10, 2010
- Akshay Kumar Ropes In Vinay Virmani For Indo-Canadian Film Breakaway - Aug 10, 2010
- Hollywood splash in Bollywood country! (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Punjabi industry lacks cinema knowledge, says comedian Ghuggi - Oct 06, 2011
- Anupam meets Keira after nine years (Movie Snippets) - Sep 12, 2011
- Lata surprised by Shoaib's remarks on Sachin (Movie Snippets) - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: akshay kumar, anupam kher, bollywood star, breakaway, businessman, camilla belle, canadian film, canadian venture, co star, commercial cinema, golden temple in amritsar, harbhajan singh, indo canadian, newcomer, punjabi, robert lieberman, role model, russell peters, vinay, virmani