Los Van Van to hold concert in Los AngelesAugust 25th, 2011 - 11:31 am ICT by IANS
San Jose (California), Aug 25 (IANS/EFE) Cuba’s Los Van Van, dubbed “the Rolling Stones of salsa”, will perform in Los Angeles Sep 15.
The concert was originally set for Aug 4, but had to be postponed when US authorities refused to issue a visa for one of the band’s members, a press release said.
Los Van Van has found another musician to replace the drummer barred by the State Department.
Founded in 1969, Los Van Van has forged a new style of salsa that incorporates Afro-Cuban, funk, hip hop and rock elements as well as electric guitars, synthesizers and violins.
The band has more than 30 albums to its credit, including the Latin Grammy-winning “Van Van Is Here” (”Llego Van Van”), and a devoted following in Cuba and abroad.
- Cuba to host hip hop symposium - Aug 01, 2011
- Puerto Rican band to kick off European tour in June - May 24, 2011
- Ozomatli sings to kids in new disc - Aug 22, 2012
- Reggaeton duo film documentary in Cuba - Jan 31, 2012
- Rosa performs with Blades, Guerra - Apr 02, 2012
- Cuban singer announces dates for US tour - Jun 21, 2011
- A Mexican shop making guitars since 1947 - Nov 13, 2011
- Colombian musician Jairo Varela laid to rest - Aug 14, 2012
- UN official to Cuba: Heed events in Egypt, Tunisia - Feb 18, 2011
- `Future of salsa is in Central and South America' - Jul 06, 2011
- Mana captivates fans in Chile - Nov 28, 2011
- Don Omar, Prince Royce big winners at Billboard Latin awards - Apr 28, 2012
- Indian idioms for free-style western performances? The debate grows (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 29, 2012
- Cuba to increase hotel capacity - May 10, 2012
- Ricky Martin, Julieta Venegas captivate Brazil - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: afro cuban, authorities, california aug, cuba, drummer, efe, electric guitars, funk hip hop, latin grammy, los van van, musician, new style, Press Release, rock elements, rolling stones, san jose california, state department, synthesizers, violins, visa