Lord of the Rings park left covered in volcanic ashAugust 9th, 2012 - 9:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Mount Tongariro, Aug 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Mount Tongariro of New Zealand erupted on Monday night after being quiet for more than a century. The mountain which had been exhibiting seismic activity for a few weeks erupted for almost 30 minutes pouring out volcanic ash for several kilometers.
The mountain which is situated in the Central North Island region did not cause any major injuries or damages as it erupted. The mountain is situated in Tongariro National Park which is a major tourist destination. The park is also famous for its involvement in the movie ‘Lord of the Rings’ as most of the scenes from the movie were shot here. Roads were blocked as a precaution and some residents vacated from their homes but nothing major happened.
Air New Zealand also cancelled some of its flights whose destinations were around or near the park. A witness sa6ys that he witnessed clouds of ash coming from, the north side of the mountain after flashes and explosions. The eruption deposited ash several centimeters thick. Researchers say that the eruption is likely to have been caused by build up of steam pressure in the mountain. The defense ministry said that the eruption is not yet completely dead and people should be careful while walking in the area.
- Thousands flee, some hurt as Mount Merapi erupts on Java - Oct 26, 2010
- Indonesia's Mount Merapi erupts again - Nov 02, 2010
- Two fresh eruptions at Indonesia's Mount Lokon - Jul 19, 2011
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Indonesia's Merapi death toll rises to 191, international flights again cancelled - Nov 10, 2010
- S. Korea hold second round of volcano activity talks with N. Korea - Apr 12, 2011
- Colombian volcano erupts - Jul 02, 2012
- Indonesia raises alert status for Mount Bromo - Nov 24, 2010
- Experts warn of another ash volcano in Iceland - Feb 10, 2011
- Indonesia's Mount Bromo makes small eruption - Nov 27, 2010
- Increased volcanic activity seen at Indonesia's Mount Anak Krakatau - Nov 02, 2010
- Indonesia's Merapi death toll reaches 206 - Nov 12, 2010
- Amarnath yatra pilgrims could be sensors for earthquakes (Science Feature) - Jun 29, 2012
- Yellowstone super-volcano eruption could happen - Jan 25, 2011
- Indonesian Volcano Mount Sinabung Erupts After 400 Years - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: 30 minutes, air new zealand, centimeters, central north island, clouds, damages, defense ministry, explosions, flights, kilometers, lord of the rings, monday night, north island region, precaution, seismic activity, steam pressure, tongariro, tourist destination, volcanic ash, witness