London O2 Arena named world’s most popular music venueJanuary 15th, 2010 - 4:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 15 (ANI): The O2 Arena in London has been named as the world’s most popular music venue for the third straight year.
In 2009, O2, which sold 2,349,952 tickets outselling its closest rivals by a comfortable 75 per cent, staged performance by stars including Tina Turner, Beyonce and Sir Paul McCartney.
The Greenwich venue was also host to the ATP Tour Finals in November.
The arena escaped bankruptcy after losing Michael Jackson’s 50-night residency when the King of Pop died last June and has surpassed its 2008 record of 1,806,447 ticket sales over 30 per cent.
“Events like the ATP Tour Finals at the O2 really did put the eyes of the world on us. London deserves a world-class entertainment destination and we will keep working hard in the next decade to ensure we remain a world leader,” the Telegraph quoted David Campbell, president and chief executive of AEG Europe, which owns and manages O2, as saying.
The Manchester Evening News Arena with tickets sales of 1,346,090 was listed second on the venue list released by Pollstar mag.
The Sportpaleis Antwerpen in Belgium with 1,090,407 sales was third on the venue chart followed by the Madison Square Garden Arena in New York with 977,868.
Sales of 611,096 tickets bagged the Wembley Arena In London the eighth spot. (ANI)
- Bon Jovi top live act of 2010 - Dec 30, 2010
- Royal Ballet to perform at London's O2 Arena in June - Nov 26, 2010
- Federer adds more records on way to London final - Nov 27, 2011
- U2 had most successful North American tour of 2009 - Jan 01, 2010
- Bon Jovi's The Circle show 'was highest earning tour of 2010' - Dec 30, 2010
- X Factor's Frankie Cocozza is not joining the tour - Nov 18, 2011
- Rihanna spotted at McDonalds - Dec 23, 2011
- Celine Dion is America's ultimate performer - Jan 20, 2010
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Britney Spears fan dies in Dublin after fall from stage - Oct 25, 2011
- Kings of Leon scrap last 2010 gig after blaze - Dec 22, 2010
- Madonna's concert tickets go on sale - Feb 27, 2012
- Temporary basketball arena to be sold after Olympic Games - Jul 22, 2012
- London 2012 ticket resale from Jan 6 - Dec 15, 2011
- Britain's car sales up 7.9 percent - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: atp tour, david campbell, entertainment destination, eyes of the world, king of pop, london jan, london o2 arena, madison square garden, madison square garden arena, manchester evening news, manchester evening news arena, music venue, night residency, pollstar, sir paul mccartney, sportpaleis antwerpen, ticket sales, tina turner, wembley arena, world class entertainment