Lokpal unworkable, will only pile up problems: KatjuMarch 28th, 2012 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 27 (IANS) Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju Tuesday came down heavily on the concept of Lokpal, calling it an “unworkable proposition”.
Speaking to reporters after the end of his two-day visit here, Justice Katju said that he found the Lokpal concept not workable in the existing situation and said that with the all-round graft in the country, setting up of Lokpal would only compound problems.
“There is no way that hundreds of thousands of complaints of corruption can be handled single-handedly by one Lokpal, you will require thousands of Lokpals for this work,” he said, adding that he had preferred to be mum on the issue so far as he did not want himself to be seen as siding with corruption.
Questioning the Lokpal, he asked what was the guarantee that the Lokpal would not become corrupt and added in fact that they could end up blackmailing.
Likening creation of a Lokpal to setting up of a parallel bureaucracy, Justice Katju said in such situations the government would find itself at crossroads as far as functioning was concerned.
But while he slammed the concept of Lokpal, Justice Katju praised Gandhian and anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare and said that to him Hazare was an honest man but added that Hazare lacked scientific approach to the whole issue of graft.
Katju faced some embarrassing moments as scribes in the state capital engaged in a verbal duel with each other and accused the state’s information department of being “prejudiced” and “indifferent towards their problems”.
An exasperated Katju tried his best to calm down the journalists but to little success.
- Katju favours strong Lokpal, but not in present form - Mar 31, 2012
- Jan Lokpal Bill to be basis of anti-graft law: Kejriwal - Apr 10, 2011
- Candlelight marches in Himachal to support Anna - Aug 28, 2011
- Nation at crossroads, discuss Lokpal issue dispassionately: Pranab (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Lokpal bill: Key differences between government, civil society - Aug 04, 2011
- Congress comments on Anna unfortunate, says BJP - Aug 14, 2011
- Anna movement anti-democratic: Somnath Chatterjee - Aug 22, 2011
- Shiv Sena leader calls Hazare 'Taliban Gandhi' - Aug 06, 2011
- BJP wants PM, CBI, lower bureaucracy under Lokpal - Dec 11, 2011
- Will agitate again if bill not passed: Anna Hazare - Dec 13, 2011
- Nitish to use Lokpal bill for Lokayukta in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Lokpal bill with PM in but CBI out approved, Hazare furious (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Standoff continues, PM says anything can happen - Aug 24, 2011
- Government trying to mislead nation: Hazare (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Anna should not fast frequently: Doctor - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, anti graft, bureaucracy, corruption, council chairman, crossroads, crusader, embarrassing moments, honest man, hundreds of thousands, information department, journalists, lucknow, scribes, siding, verbal duel