Local gangs assisting Pak Taiban in NWFPNovember 26th, 2008 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Nov 26 (ANI): NWFP police chief has reportedly said that a group of Afghan and local criminal gangs were helping the Pakistans unit of the Taliban, the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), using Peshawar as a resource generation point for the terror organization.
The Taliban are using Khyber Agency as base and Peshawar as the resource generation point, the Daily Times quoted NWFP Inspector General of Police Malik Naveed Khan as saying.
Peshawar has witnessed a sudden spurt in incidents of kidnappings for ransom and high-profile abductions over the past couple of months, even as the whereabouts of Afghanistans ambassador-designate to Pakistan Abdul Khaliq Farahi and the brother of an Afghan minister are still unknown.
A senior security official in the province said that a former Taliban district governor Yahya Hijrat, who now calls himself Mustafa Kamal Kamran Hijrat, is leading the TTP in Khyber Agency with recruits from Waziristan Agency and Punjab.
Khan suspects Mustafas possible involvement in the Afghan diplomats abduction from Hayatabad on September 22.
Criminal gangs carry out the abduction and then sell the kidnapped people to the Taliban, he said.
The officials warned the government against allowing Mustafas group to establish itself in Khyber, saying: Peshawar will be hell if we do not stop this group from taking roots. (ANI)
- Abducted Afghan envoy Farahi released after two years - Nov 14, 2010
- Kidnappers of Afghan Ambassador to Pak break silence after a year-and-a-half - May 03, 2010
- Kidnapped Iranian, Afghan diplomats being kept beyond Pak provincial police jurisdiction - Dec 25, 2008
- Afghanistan denies Pak claim that kidnapped envoy was careless over his security - Sep 26, 2008
- Pakistan Taliban release video of kidnapped professor - Oct 15, 2010
- Key Taliban commander arrested in Peshawar - Dec 12, 2008
- Pakistani Taliban resort to kidnapping to raise money - Oct 11, 2010
- Two British men believed to be kidnapped in Pakistan - Jan 12, 2011
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa governor to hold talks with Pak Taliban for VC's release - Dec 12, 2010
- Abducted Afghan envoy freed in Peshawar - Sep 30, 2008
- Pakistan says it's making all efforts to recover kidnapped diplomat - Sep 23, 2008
- Pak police claims kidnappers of Iranian, Afghan envoy arrested - Dec 24, 2008
- Pak Taliban chop tribesman's hand in Orakzai for alleged theft - Jan 04, 2011
- Pak Police to set up special zones to safeguard diplomats in Peshawar - Nov 19, 2008
- Pak law enforcement agencies still searching for missing Afghan diplomat - Oct 13, 2008
Tags: abductions, abdul khaliq, criminal gangs, district governor, farahi, hayatabad, hijrat, kamran, kidnappings, naveed khan, nwfp police, peshawar, resource generation, security official, senior security, sudden spurt, taiban, terror organization, waziristan, yahya