Lizard found inside chicken eggMay 18th, 2008 - 11:53 am ICT by admin
Melbourne, May 18 (ANI): A man was shell-shocked, quite literally, when he cracked an egg while preparing a meal and to his astonishment found a fully formed gecko inside the shell.
60-year-old Dr Peter Beaumont, was bewildered to see the lizard when he broke an egg while preparing Thai fishcakes for dinner.
“I was cracking the eggs into a pan when I noticed one of them was all cloudy. I looked at the shell and saw a tiny gecko,” The Daily Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
While speaking to the Northern Territory News, the Darwin resident was convinced that the lizard did not creep into the shell when he threw it off, as the reptile was trapped between the inner shell and the egg’s membrane.
He reasoned the presence of the lizard in the egg by saying that the gecko could have crawled into the chicken for eating an embryo and got stuck accidentally. And later the egg was formed around it and was finally bought by Beaumont at a normal supermarket.
“If you open up a dead chook, you sometimes see the partly-formed eggs. The gecko could have been looking for a feed and got trapped,” he said.
Also, he thinks that this first of its kind discovery may also lead to some clue that may aid in explaining that occasional food poisoning in humans.
He said that the eggs sometimes contained salmonella, which is a potentially fatal food poisoning and is usually carried by other lizards.
“Maybe this happens all the time. Maybe geckos regularly crawl inside chickens for a feed. And this one was unlucky enough to get stuck in an egg,” he said. (ANI)
- Food poisoning could have lifelong consequences - Mar 21, 2012
- Gecko's feet inspire unique wall hugging device - Feb 17, 2012
- Salmonella bugs could prevent food poisoning - Apr 13, 2012
- Meet the Aussie cat that thinks he's a chicken! - Feb 22, 2010
- Now, chicken nappies - the must-have accessory for your chook pet! - Aug 28, 2010
- Symptoms Of Salmonella Being Scrupulously Studied By Anxious Citizens Of America - Aug 19, 2010
- Iowa Based Wright County Egg Recalls 228 Million Eggs After Salmonella Outbreak - Aug 18, 2010
- Poisonous dioxin found in 3,000 tons of an animal feed additive in Germany - Jan 06, 2011
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Wright County Egg Recall List Continues To Expand - Aug 19, 2010
- Dinosaur-bird 'missing link' could be egg - Jul 13, 2012
- What came first the chicken or the egg? - Jul 10, 2010
- The chicken may have come before the egg, sort of - Jul 14, 2010
- Committee on Energy and Commerce requests documents related to salmonella outbreak and egg recall - Aug 24, 2010
- Lizards being trained for space travel - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: astonishment, chicken egg, chickens, chook, daily telegraph, darwin, dr peter, eggs, embryo, fishcakes, food poisoning, gecko, geckos, inner shell, lizard, lizards, northern territory news, peter beaumont, reptile, salmonella