‘Lion King’ musical star Shannon Tavares dies at age 11November 3rd, 2010 - 1:29 am ICT by BNO News
NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — Actress Shannon Tavares, who starred in the famous Broadway musical “The Lion King”, died at age 11 on Monday after a battle with leukemia, her family confirmed on Tuesday.
Tavares suffered from lower back and leg pain and was diagnosed last April with acute myeloid leukemia, also known as AML. This type of cancer causes a rapid and abnormal growth of white blood cells in the bone marrow, interfering with the normal blood cell production.
The young actress, originally from the New York City borough of Queens, began her Broadway career in September 2009 when she appeared at the Minskoff Theatre four times a week. She played Young Nala in “The Lion King.”
Tavarez was receiving treatment at Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York in Long Island, where doctors said a bone marrow transfer was the only way for her to survive. Unable to find a correct match, however, she received chemotherapy and an umbilical-cord transplant.
A strong campaign with supporters that included international stars such as Alicia Keys, Rihanna, and 50 cent, fought to find a donor, but the search was unsuccessful.
- "The Lion King" Star Shannon Tavarez Loses Battle With Leukemia - Nov 03, 2010
- Shannon Tavarez, The Young Broadway Entertainer Dies At 11 - Nov 03, 2010
- 'The Lion King' star Shannon Tavarez dies - Nov 03, 2010
- Rihanna, Alicia Keys seek help for cancer patient Tavarez - Jul 09, 2010
- Rapper 50 Cent registers as a bone marrow donor - Aug 09, 2010
- Child star Tavarez battling cancer - Jun 22, 2010
- New drug could help older leukemia patients - Jan 13, 2010
- Sahara Hospital to start bone-marrow transplant - Sep 24, 2011
- Long-term pesticide exposure is harmful: STM study - Jun 20, 2012
- Umbilical cord cells may be useful in arthritis treatment - Nov 16, 2010
- 'Chewing betel leaf may help fight cancer' - Sep 18, 2012
- Small molecule may deactivate enemy of cancer-fighting p53 - Dec 08, 2010
- Breast milk can be source for stem cells - Oct 18, 2011
- Mouse genome offers human cancer clue - Mar 24, 2011
- Mandira Bedi to endorse stem cell bank - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: abnormal growth, acute myeloid leukemia, back and leg pain, blood cell production, bno, bone marrow, borough of queens, broadway musical, international stars, lion king musical, lower back and leg pain, minskoff theatre, musical star, nala, normal blood, rihanna, type of cancer, white blood cells, york city borough, young actress