Lillian Roth Biography “I’ll Cry Tomorrow” On TCMMarch 4th, 2010 - 8:43 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Mar 4, (THAINDIAN NEWS) “I’ll Cry Tomorrow” that happens to be a 1955 biographical movie based on the life of American singer and actress Lillian Roth was aired on TCM on Wednesday. The move depicts the life of the Broadway star Lillian Roth and her life that has been through many a pathway of blossoms and thorns.
The cast of the movie includes Susan Hayward, Richard Conte, Eddie Albert, Margo, Jo Van Fleet, Don Taylor and Ray Danton essaying the prominent roles. Daniel Mann was the director of the movie and it was released in Christmas of 1955 when Lillian Roth was 45years old. Lillian Roth, who was once dubbed as “Broadway’s Youngest Star” had established herself to be a brand name for Education Pictures at a mere age of 6. The first ever motion picture where she was cast was “Pershing’s Crusaders” (1918). She attended the Clark School of Concentration in 1920. She performed Earl Carroll Vanities when she was only 17. “Midnight Frolics” followed pretty soon after that. Lillian Roth signed herself in an agreement for 7 years with Paramount Pictures. Since then she had been a prominent face in several famous works like “The Love Parade”, “Paramount on Parade”, “Honey” and “Animal Crackers”. Although her personal life had gone through many a happy moments she also witnessed the seamier side of life following her fiance’s death, that transformed the talented actress into an alcoholic.
“I’ll Cry Tomorrow” was co-written by Gerold Frank and Susan Hayward received an Oscar nomination for her role in the movie. The book was already a bestseller all across the globe, selling out more than seven million copies in over twenty languages. The film on the other hand aroused the general public’s interest for Lillian Roth.
- Lillian McEwen Supports Anita Hill Agaisnt Clarence Thomas - Oct 23, 2010
- Ashley Smith Did Not Commit Suicide, Psychologist's Report Says - Oct 30, 2010
- Pitt's proposal left Jolie in tears - Apr 19, 2012
- Meg Ryan turns director - Apr 07, 2011
- Karisma to play supermodel in Bhatt's next - Aug 22, 2011
- Eva Longoria suffers leg injury - Mar 13, 2012
- Cyndi Lauper set for theatre debut with 'Kinky Boots' musical - Feb 24, 2012
- Susan Boyle suffers emotional breakdown - Jun 02, 2012
- Patrick Wilson Will Be Starring In "Young Adult" With Charlize Theron - Oct 20, 2010
- China ice festival gets Marilyn Monroe sculpture - Jan 06, 2012
- Will Vidya stike gold again with 'Kahaani'? (IANS Preview) - Mar 05, 2012
- Rs.5 crore damages for Australian challenged - Jul 19, 2011
- Gloria Grahame: Revisiting Some Of Her Classics - Aug 14, 2009
- Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Cleopatra - Jun 18, 2012
- Katie Holmes 'considering returning to Broadway' - Dec 19, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,