Lilette on cloud nine after Madrid honourApril 12th, 2008 - 9:18 am ICT by admin
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, April 12 (IANS) Talented actress Lilette Dubey, who walked away with the best actress award for her performance in “Bow Barracks Forever” at the Madrid International Film Festival, is delighted by the turn of events. “I was about to go on stage with my friend Mahesh Dattani’s play when I got a call from the film’s director Anjan Dutta. He tried to explain to me that I had been honoured at Madrid. I couldn’t follow a word. I was wondering why he was talking to me about madrassas…,” Lilette told IANS.
Lilette’s performance as a hyper-strung Anglo-Indian woman in “Bow Barracks Forever”, which is about the neglected Anglo-Indian community in Kolkata, has been compared with Jennifer Kapoor’s performance in Aparna Sen’s “36 Chowringhee Lane”.
“I’m honoured, specially because I was nominated alongside one of my favourite actresses Joan Allen. Also, the award comes from Spain and I’m a fan of Spanish cinema. I’ve reached an age and stage in my career where I’ve lost all vanity about my looks and just need to find the right characters to play.”
Last seen playing a filmmaker modelled on Mira Nair in “My Name Is Anthony Gonsalves”, Lilette is busy with an assortment of films.
“I play Tabu’s mother in Ravi Chopra’s ‘Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai’, which was so much fun because I got to share screen space with Govinda. Likewise, I went to the US and did a diaspora film, ‘Bollywood Beats’, with a very good-looking 27-year-old director, Mehul Shah.
“I got to co-star with another favourite, Sarita Joshi. The veteran Gujarati actress was a barrel-full of fun. In fact, I’m getting to work with such lovely actors. In ‘In God We Trust To Hell With Humans’ directed by Harsh Prasad I’ve Naseerbhai (Naseeruddin Shah), Pankaj Kapur and Deepti Naval as co-stars,” said the actress.
“I’m also doing a film with Ram Gopal Varma called ‘Phoonk’,” she concluded.
- Ira Dubey Gets A Protective Hand From Anil Kapoor - Aug 17, 2010
- Sex scenes are great: Amanda Seyfried - Sep 15, 2011
- Dating co-stars is natural: Rachel Bilson - Apr 30, 2012
- Ashok Mehta was a pillar of strength: Aparna Sen - Aug 18, 2012
- Paltrow's family learns French for fun - Apr 06, 2012
- Maradona Rebello goes nude in front of Lilette Dubey - Apr 03, 2010
- India rejoices in Christmas revelry with carols, feasts (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Love scenes with Pattinson disappoint Witherspoon - Apr 14, 2011
- 'Country Strong' is the best job I've ever done: Gwyenth - Mar 13, 2011
- It's tough to strip before Lilette Dubey, says Maradona Rebello - Apr 02, 2010
- After item number, it's daredevil stunts for Katrina - Feb 01, 2012
- Cattrall glad to leave behind 'sexual icon' tag - Jul 16, 2011
- I want to play my age: Vandana Pathak - Jun 23, 2012
- Diaz a perfect co-star to work with: Eva Mendes - Sep 17, 2010
- Simpson loves to show off baby bump - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: 36 chowringhee lane, actress award, anjan, aparna sen, best actress, deepti naval, dubey, gonsalves, international film festival, joan allen, lilette, mira nair, naseeruddin shah, pankaj kapur, ram gopal varma, ravi chopra, screen space, spanish cinema, subhash k jha, talented actress