Like economy, Indian cinema should also be liberated: Ketan MehtaNovember 16th, 2011 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 16 (IANS) National award winning filmmaker Ketan Mehta, whose “Rang Rasiya” courted controversy for its skin show, feels it’s time for people to liberate their minds.
“You shouldn’t be asking this after witnessing the response that it has received at the Kolkata Film Festival. I think as a grown up democracy we are free people and its time to liberate our minds not just the economy,” Mehta told IANS when asked how he felt that Indian cinema is not ready for nudity.
Mehta was in the city for the special screening of “Rang Rasiya” at the 17th Kolkata Film Festival. The film was screened at an over-crowded theatre.
Based on the 19th century Indian painter Raja Ravi Verma, played by Randeep Hooda, and his muse Sugandha Bai played by Nandana Sen, the film shows how the legendary painter’s partially nude portraits of Sugandha Bai irked priests of that era and kicked a controversy.
The date for the theatrical release of “Rang Rasiya”, which was completed in 2008, has yet to be decided.
- 'Rang Rasiya' is reaction against attack on creative freedom: Ketan Mehta - Nov 17, 2011
- 'Rang Rasiya' a crowd puller, Nandana overwhelmed at response - Nov 16, 2011
- Nudity symbolises woman power in 'Rang Rasiya': Nandana Sen - Nov 17, 2011
- Boldness is a complicated issue: Nandana Sen - May 22, 2012
- 'Rang Rasiya' release in November: Mehta (Movie Snippets) - Sep 15, 2011
- 'Rang Rasiya', 'I Am Kalam' at Chicago film fest - Aug 18, 2011
- Rang Rasiya Fails To Get A Buyer! - Oct 19, 2010
- No more nude scenes for Nandana Sen - Apr 16, 2009
- Negotiating with Katrina for 'Noor': Ketan Mehta - Jul 26, 2012
- Nandana Sen's No To Italian Filmmaker's Choli Ke Peeche Topless Offer - Apr 14, 2009
- Film on Raja Ravi Varma worth a watch: Randeep Hooda - Jan 08, 2009
- 'Rang Rasiya' screened at London Film Festival - Nov 14, 2008
- Bollywood posters go dare bare with women - Feb 23, 2012
- Nandana's sudden change of heart - Apr 16, 2009
- Controversies will only help promote 'Rang Rasiya': Ketan Mehta - Feb 09, 2009
Tags: controversy, democracy, economy, film festival, filmmaker, free people, indian cinema, indian painter, ketan mehta, kolkata, legendary painter, muse, nandana sen, nudity, portraits, priests, randeep hooda, skin show, theatrical release