LFW kickstarts with whiff of freshnessAugust 3rd, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 3 (IANS) Fresh talent and new ideas - that’s what the Lakme Fashion Week Winter/Festive 2012 kicked off with here Friday. As many as seven new designers wowed fashionistas at the opening of the five-day gala with distinct collections.
The ‘Gen Next’ show included new designers like Aniket Satam, Sneha Arora, Asa Kazingmei, Kavita Sharma, Richa Aggarwal and a group of three called Threesome.
All collections were mainly based on an array of colours and textures, with designs which were quirky and the garments, innovative.
The show started with Ashta and Sidharth’s collection, which was dominated by colours like bright yellow and navy blue.
It was followed by a line by the Threesome - Mehak Pruthi, Kanika Seth and Ankit Sharma. Their collection was based on ‘Avatars’.
“We based it on self-avatars, displaying the true emotion of clandestine. We all have something hidden in us which we never let out,” they said of their line, after the show.
The group also emphasized that they didn’t want to do away with the true flavour of India, and so tried to “promote what we are”.
Another newcomer Richa Aggarwal’s collection could be best described as “earthy”.
“I tried to represent the streets of India through my collection. It was very colourful with textures. The clothes were simple yet wearable,” she said.
Kavita Sharma showcased a collection ‘It’s a beautiful life’.
“It was based on the idea of rebirth depicted in the Bhagwad Gita. It’s about a small child who is amused by his surroundings, and all my garments had a different story behind them,” she said.
Sneha Arora’s line had a completely different look with her models sporting intellectual looks.
“My theme was once upon a time in paradigm. The monotony of black and grey were broken by colour and digital prints,” she said.
Asa Kazingmei’s theme was ‘immortal’. The collection had simple silhouettes along with well constructed structures. There were motifs depicting the bravery of the soldiers.
The last collection of the show was by Aniket Satam, who was inspired by the prediction that the world will come to an end in 2012.
The ongoing extravaganza is in its 13th edition, and is being held at the Grand Hyatt.
- 86 designers to showcase at LFW Winter fest - Jul 11, 2012
- Item songs inspired Rohan Arora's footwear line (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- Kavita Bhartia presents a curry of crossing borders - Oct 24, 2010
- Indian designer Ritesh Kumar at Milan Fashion Week - Sep 25, 2011
- Hema Malini performs as Radha for Neeta Lulla at LFW - Aug 08, 2012
- 'Let's Design Season 4' announces 13 finalists (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- Designer presents incomplete collection at LFW - Aug 21, 2011
- Anushka Khanna to debut at LFW with 'Floral Fragments' (With Image) - Jul 26, 2012
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- Manish Arora opens Bridal Week with colour, eccentricity - Oct 30, 2010
- JJ Valaya couture collection mix of past designs - Jul 23, 2011
- Manish Arora ties up with jewellery brand (With Image) - Jul 07, 2011
- Shivan & Naresh, Swapnil Shinde use lasers in LFW show - Aug 07, 2012
- Traditional fabrics turn sensual in Tahiliani's show - Sep 03, 2011
- Indian couture all about bridal wear: Manish Arora (With Image) - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: ankit, arora, ashta, bhagwad gita, black and grey, digital prints, distinct collections, flavour of india, kanika, kavita sharma, lakme fashion week, navy blue, new designers, pruthi, richa, satam, sidharth, simple silhouettes, true emotion, true flavour