Leno’s ‘Tonight Show’ Ratings Below Conan’s: Worst Summer EverSeptember 7th, 2010 - 9:17 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Sep 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) In the ever raging battle for late night television, competition is nothing new. When the “Daddy” of late-night TV, ‘Johnny Carson’ retired a few years ago, the war was on as Jay Leno and David Letterman vied for Carson’s spot as host of ‘The Tonight Show’. Leno won the job, and Letterman started his show on CBS, leaving the two of them to poke fun at each other for years.
‘The Tonight Show’ was once again the cause of war when Jay Leno planned to retire from his spot, Conan O’Brien was brought in to host the show, and then Leno decided that he did not like retirement. The late night host was given a new spot by ‘NBC” and had his own prime time show, which did not do very well. Leno wanted ‘The Tonight Show’ back, and so ‘NBC’ gave in to his desires, kicked the new host, Conan O’Brien off the slot, and gave it back to Leno in hopes that the rates would soar.
But, they did not soar, in fact that barely floated by, since ‘The Tonight Show’, with Jay Leno at the helm, is flying under the radar as the ratings for this summer were the worst in the history of the late night show. Jay Leno’s ratings are well below those of Conan, and many are speculating that ‘NBC’ has made a serious mistake by giving in to Leno and turning Conan away.
Conan O’Brien has moved on, however, and is all set to begin his new show this fall on ‘TBS’, along with ‘Lopez Tonight’. With ‘The Tonight Show ratings at an all time low, and ‘The Late Show with David Letterman’ even lower, TBS just might steal the show this season!
- The Ratings Of 'The Tonight Show' Have Been Far From Impressive This Summer - Sep 07, 2010
- Conan O'Brien's Talk Show "Conan" Beats Other Late Shows Ratings - Nov 10, 2010
- Conan O'Brien Criticizes Jay Leno Over 'The Tonight Show' Mess - May 03, 2010
- "Tonight Show" with Conan O'Brien - Jun 02, 2009
- TBS Supports Conan O'Brien In The Emmy's Campaign - Jun 09, 2010
- The Tonight Show's ratings drop despite having Jay Leno on board - Sep 07, 2010
- Conan O'Brien To Appear In An Interview On '60Minutes' - Apr 29, 2010
- Kimmel takes potshots at Jay Leno on the Letterman show - Mar 18, 2010
- Will Jerry Seinfeld take over hosting duties from Conan O'Brien for 'The Tonight Show'? - Dec 21, 2009
- Talk show host Conan O'Brien gets 45 million dollar payout - Jan 22, 2010
- Emmy Nominations Give Jay Leno A Miss This Year - Jul 09, 2010
- Conan O'Brien gives his first interview after ouster from 'The Tonight Show' - Apr 29, 2010
- George Lopez reacts to the cancellation of his show - Aug 11, 2011
- Jerry Seinfeld being tipped to replace Conan O'Brien on 'The Tonight Show' - Dec 20, 2009
- Howard Stern Talk-a-thon In 'Piers Morgan Tonight' Show - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: cbs, conan o brien, david letterman, desires, flying under the radar, helm, jay leno, johnny carson, late night show, late night television, late night tv, late show with david letterman, nbc, night host, prime time, retirement, show with david letterman, tbs, tonight show leno, tonight show with jay leno