Lennon to be honoured with Imagine pealing on Liverpool church bellsMay 13th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 13 (ANI): John Lennon will be honoured with the performance of his peace anthem Imagine, on the bells of one of the churches in his native Liverpool, England.
Cathedral chiefs had given the thumbs up to the bellringers to perform the particular song despite the number’s controversial line, “Imagine there’s no heaven.”
“Allowing Imagine to be pealed on our bells does not mean we agree with the song lyric,” Contactmusic quoted a spokesman as saying.
“We recognise its power to make us think. As a cathedral we do not shrink from debate. We recognise the existence of other world views,” he added.
And the idea was said to have left the former Beatle’s widower Yoko Ono touched, who said it was “so beautiful, it made me choke up”.
Lennon was murdered outside his Manhattan home he shared with Ono nearly thirty years ago. (ANI)
- London church to pay tribute to John Lenon - May 13, 2009
- Lady Gaga sings with Yoko Ono - Oct 05, 2010
- Brad Pitt in talks to play John Lennon? - Jan 08, 2011
- Ringo Starr joins Yoko Ono on stage at John Lennon tribute concert - Oct 11, 2010
- Lady Gaga's 'Imagine' makes Yoko Ono 'choke up' - Oct 15, 2009
- John Lennon's 'Imagine' microphones up for grabs - Apr 30, 2011
- Yoko Ono Keeps The Legend Alive - Oct 08, 2010
- I will learn a lot from Indian women: Yoko Ono - Jan 12, 2012
- Lennon's 70th birthday marked with monument at hometown - Oct 11, 2010
- Yoko Ono donates Lennon coin to auction benefiting children's hospital - Dec 19, 2010
- Remembering Lennon and his Indian connection - Oct 09, 2010
- John Lennon's Birthday Gives Birth To A Global Anthem - Oct 09, 2010
- World's first Lennon museum closed in Japan - Oct 01, 2010
- Thirty years on, he's still the real Nowhere Man (Tribute) (Dec 8 is John Lennon's death anniversary) - Dec 07, 2010
- Yoko Ono to bring multimedia art to India - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: anthem, beatle, bellringers, chiefs, church bells, churches, controversial line, existence, heaven, john lennon, liverpool church, liverpool england, manhattan, peace, song lyric, spokesman, thirty years, widower, yoko ono