Ledger’s final film “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” gets a buyerAugust 13th, 2009 - 6:21 pm ICT by IBNS
Aug 13 (IBNS) Late Heath Ledger’s last film “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus,” has finally found a buyer.
The Variety.com reported that Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group is in advanced talks to pick up with plans for it to go out theatrically, likely this year, via Sony Pictures Classics.
The film is expected to be a lucrative home video title due to the Ledger angle and the other star power. Terry Gilliam’s adventure also stars Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell, who replaced Ledger in various fantasy scenes after the thespian actor died during the film’s production in January 2008.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was officially unveiled at Cannes this year in an out-of-competition slot toward the end of the festival. At Cannes, several buyers had a look at the movie but no deal could be reached at.
Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group has been a key and an influential player in a number of movie deals off late and also acquired the rights of The Young Victoria.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus will go out theatrically via Bob Berney and Bill Pohlad’s new Apparition label, and SPWAG will handle all ancillaries as part of a three-way deal on the movie. SPWAG has a home video deal with Apparition.
The “Parnassus” deal with Sony has in the pipeline for a long time and it is expected that a deal will be announced this week.
- Heath Ledger's last film to release in US - Aug 14, 2009
- Lily Cole signs 'Snow White and the Huntsman' - Jun 28, 2011
- Heath Ledger’s last role to be played by Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell & Jude Law - Dec 24, 2009
- Naomi Watts still too upset to watch ex-beau Ledger's final film - Jun 15, 2010
- Heath Ledger's last flick to premier at Cannes - Apr 30, 2009
- Heath Ledger's last film to premiere at Cannes? - Apr 24, 2009
- Gilliam recalls Ledger's last days on 'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus' set - Oct 29, 2009
- No takers for Heath Ledger's last film - Mar 13, 2009
- Garfield takes inspiration from Ledger for Spider Man role - Nov 26, 2010
- Ledger's relatives can't watch his movies - May 17, 2010
- Terry Gilliam says Heath Ledger enjoyed playing The Joker - Sep 30, 2009
- "Avatar" and "The Hurt Locker" lead 82nd Academy Awards nominations - Feb 03, 2010
- Farrell to replace Depp in film on Quixote? - Aug 11, 2009
- No distributors for Heath Ledgers final flick - Mar 04, 2009
- Colin Farell signed for 'Fright Night' - May 11, 2010
Tags: acquisitions group, ancillaries, apparition, bill pohlad, bob berney, cannes, colin farrell, fantasy scenes, heath ledger, home video, ibns, imaginarium, johnny depp, jude law, last film, parnassus, sony pictures classics, star power, terry gilliam, video title