Lawrence Welk and his first “Woodstock” performanceMay 17th, 2009 - 8:24 pm ICT by GD
In the wake of 1st August 1969, Lawrence Welk, had told the representatives of the Yippie Nation, that he would be willing to accept the offer to bring in his champagne music in Woodstock Festival that is going to be held later in that month.
Earlier, when Welk had been approached by the Yippie Nation to play in the “Woodstock” Festival, he had declined the offer. His reason for declining the offer then was that, he feared that his music which is a “wholesome mixture of popular American melodies and middle-of-the-road contemporary songs” would be too incendiary and provocative for the hippie audience of the “Woodstock.”
However, later with a three hour meeting with Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin, Lawrence Welk changed his mind, saying that he would be bringing his music to the “Woodstock” platform.
Reflecting on the three hour meeting Welk said, “These boys are really great,” referring to the two long-haired and bearded freaks of men.
“They told me this festival was going to be three days of peace and love. But what they really wanted was three days of peace and love and accordions. That’s where I come in,” said Lawrence Welk.
On the morning of his first “Woodstock”, the excited Welk said, “Were going to do a Doors medley this evening. I am hoping [Doors lead singer] Jim [Morrison] shows up. I’d like him to hear the wonderful duet Myron Floren and Norma Zimmer have cooked up for one of his great songs, Light My Fire.”
- Carlos Santana returns to Woodstock festival after four decades - Jul 20, 2010
- Slovenian accordionist sets new world record - Aug 28, 2012
- Jane Fonda turns hippie grandmother in new film - Jul 27, 2010
- Drugs, parties and other reminisces of Woodstock festival - Oct 08, 2009
- German Composer Hans Zimmer In SRK's Ra.One! - Sep 24, 2010
- Maker of Woodstock wants to host Indian music carnival (With Images) - Aug 20, 2009
- Mexican group mixes ancestral music with Beatles melodies - Apr 22, 2012
- Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock premieres in Goa - Oct 09, 2009
- Woodstock Fair Enjoyed By People On The Labor Day Weekend - Sep 06, 2010
- Hit Broadway musical's Indianised avatar comes to capital - Feb 22, 2011
- Carlos Santana To Play Again At Woodstock Site - Jul 19, 2010
- Exotic India comes alive in Washington's 'Maximum India' fest - Feb 26, 2011
- Chandigarh to host coffee festival - Jul 27, 2012
- Toddler devours three-tier wedding cake! - Dec 26, 2011
- Jane Fonda To Relive Her Protester Days In New Film As Hippie Granny - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: abbie hoffman and jerry rubin, accordions, american melodies, audience, champagne music, contemporary songs, doors, freaks, great songs, hippie, lawrence welk, love, medley, mixture, myron floren, norma zimmer, peace, singer jim morrison