Land return: Subhash Ghai to appeal in Supreme CourtFebruary 9th, 2012 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 9 (IANS) Bollywood director Subhash Ghai will challenge in the Supreme Court the Bombay High Court order Thursday asking him to return a plot of land allotted to his Whistling Woods International film institute.
“We respect the high court’s judgement and we will appeal to the Supreme Court. We are not at fault and have done nothing wrong,” Ghai told IANS.
“We had a legal joint venture in 2002 with the Film City to use the land for building a world class film and media institute, which was challenged by a PIL in court after 10 years…we hope we will get full justice from the Supreme Court,” he added.
The Bombay High Court’s decision judgement follows a public suit filed by Rajendra Sontakke, who alleged gross abuse of power by then chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh in allotting land to the institute.
Ghai is running the Whistling Woods International at Goregaon in northwest Mumbai. The studio and the institute were built on 5.5 acres of land and Ghai was allotted an additional 14.5 acres of surrounding land for expansion in 2000.
The high court Thursday directed Ghai to immediately hand over 14.5 acres of open land and gave him time till July 31, 2014 to return the 5.5 acres.
- Court asks Subhash Ghai to return land given for film institute - Feb 09, 2012
- 'Subhash Ghai a liability by name, not an asset' - Apr 11, 2012
- Ghai celebrates Indian movie centenary with Cinema 100 - Jun 01, 2012
- Setback for Ghai in land allocation row (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Ghai suffers setback over land allocation - Apr 04, 2012
- 'I feel cheated,' says Subhash Ghai (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Land row: Shekhar Kapur favours Subhash Ghai - Feb 10, 2012
- State government cheated me, says Subhash Ghai - Apr 06, 2012
- Apex court notice in Ghai land allocation case - Mar 23, 2012
- Spirit must not die, show must go on: Subhash Ghai (Interview) - May 11, 2012
- Apex court notice in Ghai land allocation case (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- BJP wants Deshmukh to go over land row - Apr 05, 2012
- Subhash Ghai's Haryana plot cancelled (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Ghai land allotment row: BJP says Deshmukh must quit - Apr 05, 2012
- Setback for Ghai in land allocation row (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: 10 years, abuse of power, bombay high court, chief minister, class film, deshmukh, film city, film institute, goregaon, gross abuse, international film, joint venture, judgement, mumbai, northwest, pil, plot of land, supreme court, whistling woods international