Lalu lambastes Bihar Govt for laxity in relief measuresSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
Patna , Sept 2 (ANI): Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief and Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav on Tuesday lambasted the Bihar Government for laxity in providing relief to the flood victims.
Addressing media here, Lalu Yadav said the Cemtral Government is committed to bail out the people of the flood affected regions from the crisis.
However, he was critical of the Nitish Kumar Government’’s alleged laxity in providing relief to the flood victims.
“During this hour of crisis we are ready for all kinds of support for the people of flood affected areas. The Centre is ready to help them with open heart. However, the most disheartening is the apathy of the state’’s implementing agencies which are sitting idle,” said the Railway Minister.
The flooding, the worst in 50 years, was caused after the Kosi River breached a dam in Nepal . This unleashed huge waves of water that smashed mud embankments downstream in Bihar state.
The waters of Kosi, known as Bihar’’s ”river of sorrow” for its regular floods and tendency to change course, gushed into the state inundating vast areas and affecting around two million people.
Over 4,67,000 people have been evacuated so far, but there are thousands still marooned. Activists and local media say the death toll could be many times higher than official estimates. (ANI)
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Flood deaths rise to 15 in Nepal - Jul 02, 2011
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- 'In Bihar, floods are a man-made menace' - Aug 25, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Nepal on vigil as rains lash 'Bihar's sorrow' Kosi - Jun 30, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Thousands flee as Gandak breaches embankments (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012