Lady Gaga is ‘true original’ says performance artist Marina AbramovicMarch 28th, 2011 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 28 (ANI): New York based Yugoslavian performance artist Marina Abramovic has nothing but praise for Poker Face singer Lady Gaga, saying that she is a “true original”.
Abramovic, 64, was at a preview of the Manchester International Festival when she revealed that she was very impressed with Gaga, 25.
“I really appreciate her,” the New York Daily News quoted Abramovic, who has put herself in extreme danger for her art, as saying.
“You never see this from any of these other pop artists,” Abramovic said at the Park Avenue Armory.
Gaga’s meat dress and her Grammys egg entrance are kids’ stuff compared to the time Abramovic lay passively next to a table of pleasure- and harm-inducing objects, such as a pistol and single bullet, and allowed the crowd to have its way with her.
But the performance artist observed that Gaga endures a certain amount of self-induced torture, too.
“These costumes she creates are not easy to walk in. Ask somebody else to walk in these shoes with the heels in the front and there’s nothing in the back, hopping around,” Abramovic said appreciatively.
When asked if she thought Gaga was more original than Michael Jackson or Madonna, she responded that though she considered each a “genius”, Gaga is “more extreme” and a “true original”. (ANI)
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- Rubbing shoulders with naked strangers at NYC museum causes discomfort - Mar 15, 2010
- Serbian artist spends 700hrs sitting in performance art record - Jun 01, 2010
- No lavish house for Lady Gaga - Apr 28, 2011
- Lady Gaga furious over biopic plans - Mar 08, 2012
- Ellen DeGeneres, Lady Gaga share kiss after singer performs new song - Apr 30, 2011
- Lady Gaga's grand translucent egg Grammy Awards entrance! - Feb 14, 2011
- Scantily Clad Lady Gaga Crowd Surfs At Lollapalooza Festival - Aug 10, 2010
- Lady Gaga's nude portrait up for auction on eBay - Dec 15, 2011
- Lady Gaga To Debut "Born This Way" At Thierry Mugler Menswear Show - Jan 19, 2011
- Everybody wants to see decay of the superstar, says Lady Gaga - Feb 11, 2011
- Gaga's piano to go under hammer - Jun 11, 2011
- SRK to chat with Lady Gaga for TV show - Oct 25, 2011
- Lady Gaga Shocks With Fishnet Outfit At Lollapalooza 2010 - Aug 07, 2010
- Lady Gaga's G-string exposed during performance in Las Vegas - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: costumes, crowd, egg, extreme danger, genius, grammys, lady gaga, madonna, manchester international, marina abramovic, michael jackson, new york daily news, park avenue armory, performance artist, pistol, pleasure, poker face, pop artists, torture, york daily news