Lackluster foreign presence rankles IFFI organisersDecember 1st, 2010 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 1 (IANS) The inability to attract enough foreign delegates was one of the main shortcomings of the 41st International Film Festival of India (IFFI), an official said Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters, Directorate of Film Festivals (DFF) chief S.M. Khan said that the only way forward for IFFI was to attract more and more foreign delegates.
“The participation of foreign delegates has to be in thousands. We are not happy with the current participation of foreign delegates. Many of them come, but they come for their films. We want delegates to come just to see the festival,” he said.
Khan said IFFI’s other shortcoming was its inability to attract world premieres, which he said helped in beefing up the international profile of a film festival.
“We should be getting world premieres of foreign films at IFFI. This we are not getting as we wish. Director and filmakers should wait for IFFI to launch their films,” Khan said.
“We need to do enough things to attract them. We have a lot of attractions for the foreign delegates. This year we introduced the ‘Master Classes’ as well as other events. What we need to do is consolidate on these events,” said Manoj Srivastava, chairman of Entertainment Society of Goa, which hosts the festival alongwith DFF.
This year’s edition attracted more than 8,500 delegates, but organisers were unsure of how many were from overseas.
Both Khan and Srivastava, who allegedly have been at loggerheads over organisational issues, echoed the need to rope in private participation, not just in form of fringe sponsors, but also in providing core logistical services.
“Up till now, the sponsors have only been providing logistical support and services. In future, these could sponsor large parts of the festival,” Khan said.
The 10-day festival concludes Thursday.
- Tags to Raj Kapoor lounge - sponsors chip in at IFFI - Nov 18, 2011
- 'Filmmakers not being involved in film popularisation in Goa' - Dec 01, 2011
- Mike Pandey urges centre, Goa to bury IFFI hatchet - Jul 19, 2011
- Kamat's constituency gets Rs.15 crore to build cinema halls - Nov 25, 2011
- Goa saint's feast hinders IFFI dates - Sep 21, 2011
- Goa To Uphold Itself As Film Shooting Spot During IFFI - Sep 21, 2010
- IFFI bigger, richer this year: Organisers - Nov 21, 2010
- Indian Panorama section at IFFI to screen 47 films - Aug 21, 2012
- IFFI organisers use football to warm up Goans to films - Nov 11, 2011
- Squabbles over IFFI should stop: Goa chief minister - Sep 22, 2010
- Goa CM ducks queries on Amitabh's absence from film fest - Nov 20, 2010
- IFFI aims to be 'people friendly' - Sep 05, 2011
- Goa film fest boosting our brand, says Kingfisher - Nov 17, 2010
- IFFI 'foisted' on people, says Goa Church - Nov 24, 2011
- Goa protests being edged out of IFFI organisation - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: delegates, film festivals, foreign films, fringe, goa, iffi, India, international film festival, international profile, loggerheads, logistical services, logistical support, organisational issues, organisers, presence, private participation, rope, shortcoming, shortcomings, world premieres