K.S. Aswath, veteran Kannada actor, is dead at 85 (Lead)January 18th, 2010 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
Mysore, Jan 18 (IANS) K.S. Aswath, veteran Kannada actor who acted in more than 300 films during his five-decade-long career, died at a hospital here Monday, a family source said. He was 85.
He died at 2 a.m. in Mysore’s Bannappa Hospital where he was receiving treatment for past seven days. Doctors at the hospital attributed his death to multiple organ failure.
He leaves behind his wife Sharada, two sons and two daughters. Kannada film fans affectionately called him Chamayya Meshtru.
His son, Shankar Aswath, also an actor, confirmed his death to the media.
His body was to be laid out later Monday in Mysore’s Jaware Gowda Park in Saraswathipuram for public viewing. The body will be consigned to flames in the evening.
Members of the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce had recently visited the ailing actor at the hospital and handed over a cheque of Rs.100,000 for his treatment.
Aswath’s health deteriorated after he returned from a pilgrimage to Varanasi recently. He was admitted to Bannappa Hospital.
Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa had earlier said that the state would foot the medical bills of the ailing actor.
Film director and producer S. Narayan, who had directed many films featuring the actor, including his last film “Sirivantha”, said Kannada film industry has lost a popular actor.
“He (Aswath) always tried to achieve excellence through his acting talent,” Narayan told IANS Monday from Bangalore.
Film director Phani Ramachandra said he visited the hospital Sunday and was very depressed to see that the actor’s health was deteriorating.
Aswath’s first film was “Sthree Rathna”. He went on to act in films like “Pancharathna”, “Jenu Goodu” and “Namma Makkalu”.
He was awarded an honorary doctorate from Tumkur University and received the prestigious Dr. Raj Kumar award for acting excellence from the Karnataka government.
He had also won the best supporting actor award twice from the state government.
- Vetern Kannada actor K.S. Aswath remembered by filmmakers (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- K.S. Aswath, veteran Kannada actor, is dead - Jan 18, 2010
- Kannada superstar Vishnuvardhan's death marks end of an era (Obituary) - Dec 30, 2009
- KS Aswath passes away - rewritten - Jan 18, 2010
- Kannada music composer C. Aswath dead - Dec 29, 2009
- Pro-Maharashtra party ruled Belgaum civic body dissolved - Dec 15, 2011
- Kannada superstar Vishnuvardhan dead (Lead) - Dec 30, 2009
- Film Awards instituted in the name of Vishnuvardhan, K.S. Aswath - Apr 05, 2010
- Veteran director K.S.R. Doss dead - Jun 09, 2012
- Nanna Gopala starts filming - Apr 27, 2010
- Rathnakar Donated Eyes Long Before Death - Sep 23, 2010
- Veteran Comedian K M Rathnakar Dies At 79 - Sep 22, 2010
- Kannada Star Sudeep's Birthday Celebrated On September 2 - Sep 07, 2010
- Vishnuvardhan, Kannada Movie Icon Dies Due To Cardiac Arrest - Dec 30, 2009
- Kannada actor awaits bail in wife beating case - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: actor award, chief minister, family source, film chamber, film director, film fans, film industry, gowda, honorary doctorate, kannada, karnataka film, karnataka government, last film, medical bills, namma, narayan, organ failure, pilgrimage, raj kumar, two daughters