‘Kolaveri di’ success shows regional cinema’s mass appealDecember 3rd, 2011 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 3 (IANS) South Indian superstar Suriya Saturday said regional cinema had potential for success across the country, in the same manner in which ‘Tanglish’ song ‘Why this Kolaveri di’ has become the contemporary chant of the nation.
Suriya, who has starred in blockbusters like “Ghajini” (in Tamil) and the Tamil version of “Singam” was speaking as the chief guest at the concluding ceremony of the 42nd International Film Festival of India (IFFI) at Panaji.
“Regional cinema is not getting focus. Most of the West thinks that Indian cinema is Hindi cinema,” Suriya said.
“Regional cinema has the potential to build bridges across regions and cultures… Kolaveri di plays in all the FM stations across India,” Suriya said.
The actor also lamented the fact that “Indian cinema was synonymous with Hindi cinema to the western world” and that not much attention was being paid to correct this portrayal.
“Multiplexes should show regional cinema with English subtitles. With nearly 50 percent of India living in urban areas and knowing to speak English. This must be done to popularise regional cinema across the country,” Suriya said.
- 'Kolaveri' crosses 4 mn mark, Big B hooked on to it - Nov 25, 2011
- Suriya: I Would Like My Hindi Films To Release In Tamil As Well - Oct 30, 2010
- With millions of hits, 'Kolaveri Di' on song - Nov 24, 2011
- Regional cinema should get prime slots at IFFI: Kannada filmmaker - Nov 30, 2011
- Dhanush signed for Hindi film 'Raanjhnaa' - Jan 24, 2012
- Bollywood should also come to Goa for IFFI: Jackie - Nov 23, 2011
- 'Kolaveri Di' crosses 50 million hits (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Want to move out of 'Kolaveri' shadow: 21-year-old composer - Jan 27, 2012
- Dhanush's twisted 'Kolaveri di' especially for Big B - Dec 19, 2011
- Ecelectic mix and new cinema tech on show at IFFI - Nov 30, 2011
- 'The Dirty Picture' most viewed on mobile in 2011 - Dec 28, 2011
- The five Freak Famous of 2011 (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 26, 2011
- It's destination Mumbai for Piaa Bajpai (Movie Snippets) - Dec 07, 2011
- Singam To Release In US With A Bang - May 27, 2010
- Manmadhan Ambu Will Be Dubbed In Hindi And Telugu - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: bridges, chant, chief guest, cultures, english subtitles, ghajini, iffi, India, indian cinema, international film festival, mass appeal, multiplexes, portrayal, regional cinema, superstar, suriya, tamil version, urban areas