Know Laurence Wachowski: The creator of the MatrixApril 29th, 2009 - 1:48 am ICT by GD
If you are a fan of the Matrix series then you have surely heard of Laurence Wachowski. He along with his younger brother Andrew Paul created the Matrix. Laurence or Larry as he is popularly called is a writer, director and producer. The Matrix is Larry’s brain child. He has also been involved in creating Speed Racer’s live action adaptation for the big screen.
Larry was born in a Polish-American mixed family. His mother was a nurse and father was a businessman. He started their education at the Kellogg Elementary School in Chicago. The brothers completed their education from the Whitney Young High School. Larry had never been an outstanding student but he had participated in the school and college theatre and TV programs. But both the Wachowski brothers prefer being behind the scene rather than infront of it. Larry worked on cartoon books initially and also started preparing for the Matrix films.
The brothers and especially the elder Larry were into creating comic strips and books for Marvel Comics’ Razorline on the stories of Clive Barker, the novelist. Larry also wrote for EPIC Comics which included ‘Hellraiser’ and ‘Nightbreed’- both hugely successful comic series. Larry liked narrating multi episode tales, something that is also reflected in the mega production the Matrix trilogy.
Since both the brothers grew upon comic books and the Tolkien trilogy, they were always interested in narrating and depicting episodic tales of adventure and fantasy. For Larry, cinema was the logical next step for his fantasy and comic writings. He had always wanted to make movies that do not bore the audience. A story is never finished according to him and it is his duty to narrate it on celluloid as it unfolds.
- Matrix director Larry Wachowski is now a she - Jul 30, 2012
- Is Keanu Reeves Really Returning With Matrix 4 And 5? - Jan 24, 2011
- 'Matrix' fourth and fifth to be in 3D: Keanu Reeves - Jan 25, 2011
- Director Larry Wachowski Makes A Feminine Public Appearance - Nov 20, 2009
- Childhood fairytales revisited in Indian art - Oct 13, 2011
- 'Tere Bin Laden' director turns comic book writer - Feb 13, 2012
- India's Sufi pictorial takes Islam to children worldwide (With Image) - Feb 18, 2012
- Cate Blanchett joins 'The Hobbit' cast - Dec 09, 2010
- Janet Jackson wants to "kick butt" after missing 'The Matrix' role - Feb 03, 2010
- Comic book on movies comes to India with 'Don: The Origin' (With Image) - Dec 20, 2011
- Will Smith: Will He Be The Next Robin Hood? - Dec 08, 2010
- Indian artist's new animated web series launched in US - Dec 20, 2011
- History, angling and drama on book-shelf (IANS Books this Week) - Jul 14, 2012
- Indian artists join in creating Elvis Presley comic (With Images) - May 05, 2012
- 'The 99' Muslim superheroes to hit TV screens soon - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: andrew paul, brain child, brother andrew, cartoon books, celluloid, clive barker, comic books, comic series, comic strips, infront, kellogg elementary school, marvel comics, matrix films, matrix series, matrix trilogy, speed racer, tolkien trilogy, tv programs, wachowski brothers, whitney young high school