Knighthood is Kingsleys passport to troubled regionsJanuary 17th, 2008 - 1:18 pm ICT by admin
Washington, January 17 (ANI): Sir Ben Kingsley credits his knighthood for enabling him to reach parts of the world inhabited by the oppressed and the refugees as an ambassador for his homeland, so that he may reassure people that the British are not ignoring their plight.
The Gandhi star, knighted in 2001, says that the title of Sir is like a passport for him because it allows him access to far-flung places.
“Sir is a little bit of a passport to help you get out to other people and say, I’m a Brit and I’m privileged to be here, Contactmusic quoted him as saying.
“We just want you to know that we haven’t forgotten all about you and you’re a vital part of our consciousness and our planet,” he added.
Kingsleys knighthood has helped him connect with world leaders, and this chain in turn helps him reach the needy people.
“I was fortunate enough to be invited to Pakistan after the earthquake, just to tell them (victims), `We’re there, we know what’s going on, what you’ve been through.’ I went to Afghanistan for the first time after the Taliban were thrown out, and little girls were going to school for the first time in God knows how many years, he said.
“I went to the Palestinian refugee camps and we were able to screen Gandhi on that wall that divides the Palestinian territory from the Israeli territory,” he added. (ANI)
- Bob Hoskins insists he'd refuse to accept knighthood if it was offered - Sep 07, 2010
- Ben Kingsley's fourth wife 'doesn't care about his failed marriages' - Apr 02, 2011
- QUOTES -- Reaction to the passing of U.S. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke - Dec 14, 2010
- Hundreds of Myanmar nationals seek refugee status (With Images) - Apr 21, 2012
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- Martin Scorsese treats everyone as equal: Moretz - Apr 30, 2012
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- 'Gandhi' Ben Kingsley bowled over by 'Auro' Amitabh Bachchan - Dec 15, 2009
- Tendulkar was the most awkward opponent, says Warne - May 21, 2011
- Sir Ben Kingsley unveils his Hollywood Walk of Fame star - May 29, 2010
- Kingsley on Hollywood Walk of Fame - May 29, 2010
- Myanmarese refugees battle bias, poverty in Delhi (June 20 is World Refugee Day) - Jun 17, 2011
- Jammu, the refugee city of India (Part-I) - May 03, 2011
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, ambassador, ben kingsley, brit, consciousness, earthquake, gandhi, israeli territory, little bit, little girls, pakistan, palestinian refugee camps, palestinian territory, passport, plight, refugees, sir ben kingsley, taliban, troubled regions, world leaders