King Arthur ‘a modern-day Prince Harry’ in telly drama MerlinMay 4th, 2009 - 3:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 4 (ANI): King Arthur in the British television drama series Merlin is a modern-day version of Prince Harry, since the legendary leader is “a bit of a d***head”, claims its producer.
Producer Johnny Capps made the revelation ahead of the launch of the second series based on the Arthurian legends of the mythical wizard Merlin and his relationship with Prince Arthur.
Capps drew the comparison between Arthur and the royal, known for his hard-party lifestyle and reported incidents involving cannabis, stressing the former was not perfect.
“We had to understand that Merlin was an older man and Arthur was king, and then subvert that, so when you first meet the young Prince Arthur, he’s a bit of a d***head,” the Daily Star quoted him as saying.
“He’s a modern-day Prince Harry, he occasionally shows great strength but likes to party and have fun,” he added.
Johnny continued: “He’s a slightly comic character but you see heroic moments, and the audience should enjoy going on the journey, seeing the first signs of the king he will eventually become.”
Co-producer Julian Murphy further dwelled upon the relationship between Prince Arthur and Merlin to 1990s show Jeeves & Wooster.
Julian said: “Merlin is like many heroes, he’s a secret hero. Nobody knows he’s the hero. He and Arthur are an odd couple in an almost Jeeves and Wooster way in that the servant knows more than the master, and often gets him out of trouble.
“So we’re taking the legend and twisting it, and saying without the servant, Arthur would not have been the man he was.” (ANI)
- King Arthur was a "genocidal warlord", claims historian - Sep 28, 2009
- Iconic wizard Merlin officially named as citizen of Glasgow - May 17, 2009
- Merlin: The New Fantasy Fiction On NBC - Jun 22, 2009
- Kate Middleton gives cooking lessons to Harry - Aug 26, 2012
- Prince Harry's tour with Bahamian military - Mar 04, 2012
- Joseph Fiennes, Bond girl Eva Green join 'Camelot' - Jun 04, 2010
- Kate Middleton supports Prince Harry - Sep 03, 2012
- Prince Harry closes down his Facebook page - Aug 27, 2012
- Fossil skeleton of prehistoric penguin reconstructed - Mar 01, 2012
- Prince Harry to keep romance private - Apr 23, 2012
- Crowe in talks to play Harker? - Feb 14, 2012
- Poll reveals that Princess Diana is the favorite royal in UK - Aug 31, 2011
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Engaged to Marry in London - Nov 19, 2010
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- French say King Arthur is a figment of the British imagination - Jun 30, 2008
Tags: arthurian legends, british television, capps, comic character, daily star, first signs, julian murphy, king arthur, launch, legendary leader, odd couple, older man, party lifestyle, prince arthur, prince harry, revelation, servant, television drama series, wizard merlin, wooster