‘Kick’ - a robbery-romance tale without zing (Telugu film review)May 10th, 2009 - 12:31 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Kick”; Director: Surender Reddy; Cast: Ravi Teja, Illena, Bramhanandam, Shyam
Music: S.S. Thaman; Rating: *1/2
Known for his action films, director Surender Reddy has attempted to partly bank upon the recently acquired comical image of lead actor Ravi Teja after his commercially successful “Krishna”.
The script of “Kick” is more-or-less based on Hindi hit “Dhoom” sans the technical brilliance.
The commercial angle suffers as the script accords its hero a needless do-gooder Robin Hood image to justify blatant robberies.
A Casanova thief Kalyan (Ravi Teja) romances and robs strictly for ‘kicks’.
A casual girlfriend Naina (Illena) discovers that she has been taken for a ride while he pretends to have turned a new leaf. She gives him the brush off in favour of a marriage with an intelligent cop Krishna (Shyam), who is on an assignment to catch the thief.
The rest of the tale is all about Kalyan succeeding to win his lady-love’s heart and hand after emerging from all his petty predicaments amidst Malaysian locales.
The first half has a generous dosage of comedy involving the main protagonist and actor Bramhanandam that just about passes muster.
The lead pair’s attempts at love are good, thanks to their on-screen chemistry.
After the intermission, “Kick” loses its zing and meanders towards its melodramatic climax unconvincingly.
While Thaman’s music is nothing to write home about, cinematographer Rasool Ellore’s frames sustain some interest in the proceedings.
Else, the whole package basically consists of the usual frills like a glamorous heroine, in this case Illena, and a few impossible stunts.
- Ravi Teja's 'Veera' a let down (Telugu Movie Review) - May 22, 2011
- 'Oosaravelli': Watch at your own risk (Telugu Film review) - Oct 08, 2011
- Puri Jagannadh's 'Devudu Chesina Manushulu' disappoints (Telugu Movie Review) - Aug 17, 2012
- Telugu Movie Don Seenu To Release Audio On July 22 - Jul 19, 2010
- Ravi Teja's 'Nippu' a letdown (Telugu Movie Review) - Feb 19, 2012
- Trendy, romantic 'Love Failure' a treat to watch (Telugu Movie Review) - Feb 19, 2012
- Ravi Teja injured while shooting for new film - Apr 08, 2009
- 'Mirpakaya' typical Ravi Teja movie, but enjoyable (Telugu Movie Review) - Jan 16, 2011
- Teja's new venture 'Atu-Itu' - Oct 06, 2009
- Do-gooders are born, not made - Feb 10, 2011
- 'Don Seenu' Grosses Rs 85 Lakhs On Opening Day - Aug 11, 2010
- 'Daruvu' ordinary fare, rides on Ravi Teja's shoulders (Telugu Movie Review) - May 27, 2012
- 'Namitha I Love You' leaves you with a headache (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 11, 2011
- Do-gooders are disliked as they make everyone else feel guilty - Aug 25, 2010
- "Madatha Kaja" - nothing new on offer (Telugu Movie Review) - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: action films, casanova, cinematographer, climax, heroine, intermission, krishna, new leaf, predicaments, protagonist, ravi teja, robberies, robbery, robin hood, romances, screen chemistry, technical brilliance, telugu film, thief, zing