Kerala to honour actor Kamal HaasanAugust 13th, 2010 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 13 (IANS) The Kerala government will honour actor Kamal Haasan who completes 50 years on the silver screen of Malayalam cinema.
“He will be honoured during the opening celebrations of Onam to be held here in the presence of Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan and other dignitaries on 22nd of this month,” Tourism Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan told reporters here.
Onam is the traditional harvest festival of the state.
It is celebrated across religious communities and Thiru Onam (second day) which falls Aug 23 is the most important day in the Onam week when Keralites have the traditional Onam Sadhya (vegetarian lunch) on a plantain leaf.
The Kerala government has earmarked Rs.1.67 crore for the celebrations.
“Thiruvananthapuram will host the main functions. Also, celebrations would be held in all the other 13 district headquarters. There would be cultural events in 18 venues from 22nd to 28th of this month. All the traditional Kerala art forms would be staged and a record 4,000 artistes would take part,” said Balakrishnan.
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- It's Onam , but few homes will do the full 26-dish sadhya - Aug 24, 2012
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Prayers, flowers and feasts - Kerala celebrates Onam - Aug 23, 2010
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- Feasting, fervour mark Onam in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Melbourne Malayalis donate blood for Onam - Aug 09, 2010
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
- Fun and fervour mark Vishu in Kerala - Apr 14, 2012
- Happy Onam, tweets B-town - Aug 29, 2012
- High prices to hit Onam festivities this time - Aug 30, 2009
- Price rise, rain play dampener to Onam festivities - Sep 02, 2009
- Kerala's Onam gesture to migrant labour - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: art forms, balakrishnan, chief minister, crore, dignitaries, district headquarters, harvest festival, honour, kamal haasan, kerala art, kerala government, onam, onam sadhya, plantain leaf, religious communities, silver screen, thiruvananthapuram, tourism minister, v s achuthanandan, vegetarian lunch