Keira Knightley fronts domestic violence campaignApril 2nd, 2009 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 2 (ANI): Keira Knightley has starred in a new campaign against domestic abuse to help increase awareness for the Women’s Aid charity.
The two-minute film, directed by Joe Wright, shows the Pirates of the Caribbean star returning home after a day’s shoot but only to be beaten by her boyfriend.
The advertisement, entitled ‘CUT’, further depicts the actress getting kicked in the stomach and hit in the face while her hair is pulled later.
It ends with a question asking: ‘Isn’t it time someone called cut?’
“I wanted to take part in this advert for Women’s Aid because while domestic violence exists in every section of society, we rarely hear about it,” the Telegraph quoted Keira as saying.
“We may not think we know someone who has experienced domestic violence, but this does not mean that it is not happening.
“Domestic violence affects one in four women at some point in their lifetime and kills two women every week,” she added.
Meanwhile, Nicola Harwin, chief executive of Women’s Aid, is crossing her fingers that the ad would help shed more light on the plight of women suffering abuse.
She said: “We are so grateful to both Joe Wright and Keira Knightley for donating their time to make this public awareness advert.
“We hope the Women’s Aid campaign will both increase public awareness of domestic violence, letting abused women and their families and friends know that there is help out there, and also raise vital funds for Women’s Aid, to help us to continue in our work.” (ANI)
- Call for TV ban on Knightley's 'too violent' domestic violence ad - Apr 26, 2009
- Third time lucky Knightley - Sep 15, 2011
- TV show aims to curb domestic violence - Mar 08, 2012
- Jamia Millia reaches out to women in distress - Feb 25, 2011
- Knightley's dancing woes - Sep 07, 2012
- Keira Knightley stars in campaign against domestic abuse - Apr 02, 2009
- Tannishtha stars in 'Anna Karenina' adaptation - Oct 11, 2011
- Tannishtha first Indian to co-host APSA - Nov 17, 2011
- Rupert Friend Kiera defends Kiera Knightley's anti-domestic violence ad - May 11, 2009
- Keira Knightley prefers masculine fragrances - Mar 23, 2011
- How women fend off domestic violence - Feb 16, 2011
- Jude Law might star in 'Anna Karenina' - Mar 19, 2011
- Keira Knightley: Sienne Miller Is Better In Dealing With Media Attention - Dec 15, 2010
- Red Chilli campaign - self-defence for the capital's women - Dec 13, 2010
- Shooting in Petrozavodsk is a miracle: Tannishtha - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: abused women, actress, advert, caribbean star, charity, chief executive, domestic abuse, domestic violence campaign, donating their time, fingers, four women, joe wright, keira knightley, minute film, pirates of the caribbean, plight of women, public awareness, returning home, stomach, two women